You are here

What type of camera for a video like this one?

Paolo Grisendi's picture

Hello,

i found this video on the web and i really love the way it looks

http://webvideouniversity.com/camtasia8/

i wonder what type of camera this guy used. Can you help me?

The thing that i love the most is the blurred background.

How can i achieve it?

Thanks

PaoloG

paulears's picture

probably a DSLR which make a feature of shallow depth of field, or a conventional video camera further away, zoomed in, with the aperture open as wide as possible. Other than the shallow DoF, I don't see much else - although I have a suspicion that there could have been some straightforward greenscreen keying used. What did you see that tweaked your curiosity?

Joshua Knight's picture

The camera used in that video is most likely either a Canon 60D, DSLR, or a Sony A65. DSLR cameras have large image sensors with high megapixel resolution, a 1000$ dslr will have a pas-c sized sensor, probably used on this video, a full frame dslr has a image sensor the size of 35mm film such as the canon 5D mrk III, full frames cost about $3000, then you go up to full frame 2k and 4k and now 6k cameras, the red epic, in which the avengers was shot with, has 6k full frame sensor now

here is a video shot with the 5D mark II full frame DSLR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhPaiajwDY

Paolo Grisendi's picture

Thanks guys,

i suspected he used a DLSR, and the Canon EOS 60D is the one he suggest in a course of his.

the thing that i like the most is the blurred background.

So what type of lens would give this effect with the EOS 60D?

a 35mm?

sorry for these types of questions, but i am a newbie :)

Thanks

PaoloG

jroush's picture

I would have to ssay it looks like a green screen had been used. The footage was probably taken with a dslr though.

Paolo Grisendi's picture

jroush wrote:

I would have to ssay it looks like a green screen had been used. The footage was probably taken with a dslr though.

ok,

do you think it is possible to get the same effect without green screen?

If yes, what would you use....? please be specific... :)

Thanks

PaoloG

Jordan Claverie's picture
Plus Member

Paolo,

You don't necessarily need a green screen. The easiest way to achieve that effect is to take your DSLR (if you have one), and zoom in anywhere between 55 and 300mm. Then create space between the camera and your subject, and between the subject and background.

Let us know how it turns out!

A really hoopy frood.

Rick Crampton's picture

" You don't necessarily need a green screen. The easiest way to achieve that effect is to take your DSLR (if you have one), and zoom in anywhere between 55 and 300mm. "

You can do the same with a camcorder ( ugh ! ) also. While yer at it, why not shoot in monochrome for a REALLY classy, artsy look!

artsmith's picture

It's about apparent depth-of-field mainly. Field depth, (that is the amount of a shot's 'depth' which is in acceptably, critically if you like, sharp focus), is usually a function of the focal length of the lens used, whether prime lenses, or part of the range of a zoom. Because depth-of-field is shallowest at the more extreme 'telephoto' end of the scale it usually pays to back off a bit and re-frame your shot so as to register it in the way you wished, by using telephoto, instead of going too close. Some camcorders, sadly, allow this only to a limited extent. On the other hand, ultra-close is another way of achieving limited field-depth.

There is a bonus to that, as well, as it is possible to create a powerful '3D' illusion, by isolating something in critically sharp focus, against a background which is just a tad 'off' providing your camcorder has the 'critical-sharpness' firepower. The other way, if you have the control, is to adjust your camcorder's dynamics, in any of a number of ways which will cause the lens's diaphragm to open-up a bit, which also reduces depth-of-field. An easy way, without having to modify your camcorder's settings, is to screw-on a neutral-density filter which accomplishes the same thing. Again, low lighting will bring about the same effects, but insufficient light will tend to will raise noise-levels.

At the end of the day, it's a whole heap of 'trade-offs'. Having always been a fan of carrying a battery of lenses, I have been pleasantly surprised what my camcorder (a 'Panasonic' HDC-SD900), is capable of doing, without 'supplementaries' or filters, just by having a damned good lens, and image processing  to make the most of it. 

Ian Smith

Dunedin , New Zealand.

trusso's picture

Normally, I would say this is shot with a DSLR because of the depth of field. However, it looks obvious to me that it is green screened footage. The backgrounds do not look like they are quite disconnected from the talent. That said, this could be done quite easily using any camcorder on a green screen and then taking a background set and blurring it in your editing software. It gives the same result.

toplinecomms's picture

Hi Paolo,

As others have already said, I think the shallow depth of field you are seeing has been added in during post with he use of a green screen. If you wanted to recreate this look though, I would suggest a DSLR with a very fast lens. If you can get a prime lens with a maximum aperture of F2 or even quicker, this should give you a very shallow depth of field. A good cost effective option are the Olympus Zuiko lenses. You could use something like a 50mm F1.4 and then reposition your camera to aquire your desired framing. As long as there is some distance between your subject and the backdrop, you will achieve the blurred look.

Depending on the camera you choose, you may need to purchase a lens adaptor to make the Olympus Zuiko range fit. These are very cheap though. I myself use a 1.4 50mm with a Canon 5D and a Panasonic AF101. Both require different lens adaptors, but the results are very impressive.

Jamie Field

Head of Production

www.toplinecomms.com

Tom Evans's picture

I don't like the look, and you shouldn't either. It looks too "green screen-y" to me. Any decent DSLR or 3 chip camcorder could have shot the foreground, and the backgrounds look like stock footage. I believe that more time should have been spent creating better, more realistic backgrounds with  better diminishing focus than those used here. A little movement in the background helps to sell the shot. This video has static backgrounds, a giveaway. Also she looks way too "crisp" compared to the backgrounds. I'd soften her shot a bunch, just for openers. (turn detail way, way down.) The foreground and backgrounds just don't look like they were shot with the same gear on same day. 

The shots are well exposed and framed, but they just don't match. BTW, I was doing blue and green screening decades ago with Grass Valley and Ultimatte gear. We'd spend a day or two lighting the foreground just to match the backgrounds. Tedious, and expensive. 

However, today, it's quick, and cheap. This video looks it. The ideal green screen should totally fool the audience. In reading the comments, it didn't seem to fool anybody. 

Sorry to sound so grumpy. Time to go home. It's been a long week. 

Cheers!!

johan Adverd's picture

paolog wrote:

Hello,

i found this video on the web and i really love the way it looks

http://webvideouniversity.com/camtasia8/

i wonder what type of camera this guy used. Can you help me?

The thing that i love the most is the blurred background.

How can i achieve it?

Thanks

PaoloG

Hello Paolo Grisendi

, I am a video grapher  and I am posting  top 10 video editing software in 2013. It is all latest software and you can use this for video editing.

1. CyberLink PowerDirector 11 Deluxe

2. Corel VideoStudio Pro X5

3.Adobe Premiere Elements 11

4.MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2013 Plus5.Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 126.Roxio Creator NXT7.VideoPad Master's Edition 2.418.AVS Video Editor 6.2.1.2229.Pinnacle Studio 1610.Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12