You are here

what a cannon GL2 or DSLR or camcorder

redwillow's picture

Hi

I have found a cannon GL 2 fro 400.oo.

I am new to filmmaking.

Nor sure what would be  my best choices.

want to also know which would be best for edtting.I have laptop pc.

the camcorder flash sdd  cards are applealing

do you know the GL 2 pixels capabilites?

comparing to the 720 1080. 24 on the other cameras?

i think dlsr may be too complicated for me.. and the heating up issues.

i want to film docs. how toos  and stadge.

thanks

jroush's picture

A DSLR it not nessicarly more advanced. A DSLR would work for everything you said but stage because of overheating. Being a DSLR owner Ican shoot constantly for around 40 minutes before any overheating issues. For sd cards, you can get up to a 64gb. I prefer DSLR for sensors and affordable lenses. I have used camcorders, not a gl2 though. I have heard a lot of good things about them. In your situation I would get the camcorder.

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

jroush wrote:

A DSLR it not nessicarly more advanced. A DSLR would work for everything you said but stage because of overheating. Being a DSLR owner Ican shoot constantly for around 40 minutes before any overheating issues. For sd cards, you can get up to a 64gb. I prefer DSLR for sensors and affordable lenses. I have used camcorders, not a gl2 though. I have heard a lot of good things about them. In your situation I would get the camcorder.

redwillow - 

There are DSLR-like large sensor interchangeable lens cameras that do not overheat - the Panasonic GH2 and GH3.  With these cameras, you can shoot stage plays - or any other multi-hour event.

Also, you can get SD cards up to 128GB - I bought a Kingston 128GB SDXC card for my GH3.

And the old Canon GL2 is an obsolete camera with half the resolution of the GH2, which can produce images like these:

To get started, I recommend a $499 GH2 body and a $149 Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens.  With this relatively inexpensive combination you can start shooting high definition video straight out of the box.

Hope this is helpful and best of the New Year,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

redwillow's picture

Really like that skateboard one!!!

so the G2 pansonic was used...very nice....for all of them

Theresa Desaulniers's picture
Plus Member

I use a GL2 and Sony FX1000 HD and JVC GY-HD110U and the GoPro2 and 3 cameras.

I enjoy the simplicity of the GL2 and recommend it for beginning. It can easily carry into advanced filming. The camera is only half the equation. Your editor is equally important.

B&H Photo is a great source for inexpensive and quality mini dv tapes.

Find out what type of tape has been used on the GL2 in the past and stick to the same type.

If multiple types, clean the heads and stick to one type of tape.

The most important part of filming is just getting out and doing it!! 

Have fun!

redwillow's picture

wow i did not know about the pansonic cameras. that do not heat up. sounds very user freindly.

will check them for sure. Funny you mentions pansonic i have owned a small lumix DMC for 6 years and had been shooting many short clips.  that is what got my interest..

the gl 2 appeals to me..As for all the manual abilites.

Execpt the ediiitng process and the copying tapes to my computer.

I own toshiba Satellite laptop  wiht dual core 60   1.90 GHZ.   mem 3 GB 64 bits O/S/ oh yeah it uses vista..

With any of the cameras suggested  will my  lap top be suffeint to copy edit with. speed wise..memory ect....

what ediitng soft were is suggested..

i do agree to just get shooting .  will as soon i find the right camera...

I did take a two week aboriginal Bootcamp filmmaking course and loved it. I am 56 and know this will be alot of fun. have alot of ideas..to exlpore...

i