You are here

Using a MacBook Pro as a monitor for Canon XF300

puremotion's picture

I used to have a Canon XH-A1, with which I used the FireWire output into my MacBook Pro, and used Adobe OnLocation as a field monitoring solution. This worked absolutely fine for me... until I upgraded my camera to the XF300. The XF300 doesn't have a FireWire output, only HDMI and Component etc. Adobe OnLocation only supports FireWire input, not HDMI. Now I'm stuck - I can no longer use my MacBook on location shoots as a monitor! Can anyone recommend any alternative monitoring software that allows HDMI signal input? Adobe have discontinued OnLocation, so there's no hope of there being an update to improve compatibility. I know that there is a piece of hardware that converts the HDMI signal from the camera into an HDV signal ready for FireWire that is compatible with OnLocation (http://bit.ly/cua9f0) - but it's nearly £600 GBP, and I'm not spending that much money on a simple converter! I just want a piece of monitoring software that I can use on my MacBook that is compatible with the HDMI signal from my XF300. Any help is appreciated!

Bill's picture

Puremotion,

Have you considered looking into the matrox M0X2 with max? I realize that this is a hardware solution but it may be possible to come out of your camera with componet signals and convert them. Also, if can get it to work, the Blackmagic company has a more reasonably priced hardware solution that may work for you.

Good luck!