You are here

Spammers, Astroturfers Relentless

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I dunno about you other moderators, I know Jennifer has bounced a few and blocked many, but there is a veritable tsunami of spammers and astroturfers about, hitting us right and left with all sorts of stuff that is as far from video related as sand is to ice cream. I am nearly overwhelmed, coming on here from a couple to several times a day and ALWAYS discovering new or piggybacked buttheads hammering down like panhandlers and beggars in San Francisco. It appears some of us are dumping the copy and leaving the subject, deleting the topic and content but allowing access, and more.

The really overwhelming thing is obviously these cruds are using all matter of names and stuff to come right back with the same stuff, even after I've blocked a number of variations, and gone back, "unstickied" the post, then deleted the entire thing.

Help, HELP!

Is there some aspect of the new forum design and setup that is causing this apparent flood of crapola? Can we ever, as I've promised L.O. Maymi, rip their spamming hearts out permanently?

chuckzootz's picture

I have seen what you are talking about, many of the forum links lead to a blank post, nothing there butt The title, no content. Its frustrating for us to fing a data free post.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

The volume of spam that we been receiving must be made by a machine, automated to create an account and write the message. One of the ways to prevent this is adding a CAPTCHA verification before posting a message. It will be a pain for legitimate users, but I honestly prefer that than a tsunami of spams. 

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

Woody Sanford's picture

I believe the ones not leaving any content are bots that can get past an open registration. I agree, something like a CAPTCHA element would help there, I use the KEYCAPTCHA where people have to put a picture together, bots have a hard time with that one as they can sometimes get around the word ones.

But there is also the Chinease computer spam camps where you have a lot of people spamming all day because the internet is making it hard for the bots. Thats where the question and answer fileds help. The only problem with those for a forum like this is using questions general enough for people all over the world to know the answer to but not some person in China. They might have some field specific knowledge to pass around.

There are also spam data banks where the emails and user names get recorded to and that software will stop any that have been seen before but that is best for the bots that can get stopped with just the CAPTCHA.

Its quite the growing pain sometimes when starting a forum.