You are here

Recording Video onto a hard drive from dslr

dtproud's picture

Hi guys,

Looking to record long events (ice hockey games) using my Canon 600d DSLR (i know, not ideal, but as of now, I can't afford anything else), but don't know how to record the footage onto a hard drive rather than numerous SD cards to garuntee that recording isnt going to stop as the card is full. Is there a way to my 600d upto my macbook pro and record it through that?

Thanks in advance.

mcrockett's picture
Plus Member

With that camera, there really isn't a good way to record to an external device. 

mcrockett's picture
Plus Member

Yes, if the camera has a clean HDMI out. I see that this camera has an HDMI port, but is it clean?

fx1shooter's picture
Plus Member

that is true!, if its not a clean HDMI port the only option is to hack the firmware to something like the magic lantern...

Robert Pancake's picture

Not sure if this will matter or not, but I was recording a friend's wedding with a canon 2ti a year or so ago and the unit started overheating once I had been recording for an extended period of time.  Not sure if that will happen on your device, but thought it might be of interest.  If it is for a paying/important gig, you may want to test out an extended recording session just to make sure it won't overheat when it matters.

Robert ----------------------------------------------------------- http://www.virtual-studio-set.com - Animated backgrounds for green screen video productions