You are here

Question regarding workflow

Paolo Grisendi's picture

Hello,

i have a question regarding workflow. In a course about video marketing, the guy presenting the course said that the conversion which is built in editing softwares sucha s imovie and screenflow is not that great.

Therefore, he suggested to export the final edits in the highest possible resolution and then convert them using other softwares. He suggested using handbreak.

I exported a movie using the lossless option, and the movie is about 2 Gb in size. It's pretty big to upload to handbrake.

Am i missing something here? do you have suggestion for a better workflow? 

Is compressor good enough for conversion, even if it's not cloud based?

Thanks

PaoloG

chuckzootz's picture
Plus Member

I have to agree with the instructor, Always render your work in the best level of quality you can, Convertors just convert format, they don't do anything to improve quality. Hqndbrake is good, being a windows user I use Quick Media convertor which meets my needs just fine, I use it to convert to you tube format before I upload.

You might conside buying a decent ($100-$250) non linier editing software I-movie and windows movie maker are just to basic to do work on.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Take a look at Sony Movie Studio. It is excellent consumer-level editing software, fairly inexpensive and not terribly difficult to use. It does an excellent job of rendering for DVD or other delivery and is supported by a very friendly and helpful user's forum.

In my opinion, a forum specifically targeted to the software you're using is a must. The odds are that everyone on the forum, no matter what the software, has had questions similar to what you'll be asking, and will be quick to help with an answer.

Paolo Grisendi's picture

Thank you guys

actually i use Mac, so any wondows based software i don't want to consider.

Has anyone any opinion around compressor?

Also, rendering to best quality can make the files up to 2 Gbs in size. This means it can take a very long time to upload to Handbrake, which is why i asked if there's a better or faster workflow.

Thanks

PaoloG

billmecca's picture

I render out from the timeline into the format need. Only with Avid do I need to export in one and then use Squeeze to version. 

I often wonder about some "gurus"  and see if they have affiliate links to the products they hawk. Call me a Cynic, I don't care. ;-)

Paolo Grisendi's picture

actually in that particulat course the guy didn't have any affiliate links... although i have seen that in other courses so i know what you mean.

So you reckon that the conversion to mp4 with the built in convertors of softwares such as screenflow and final cut are good enough?

Thanks

PaoloG