You are here

New Video/ Song shot with a Canon 650D. Feedback needed please!

Muso1070's picture

Hello all, i'm a singer/songwriter from Northern Ireland and just wanted to share with you a new tune i put together a few weeks ago called Tonight.I was lucky enough to be invited over to perform in Nashville USA at the famous Bluebird Cafe back in June and it was that trip that inspired me to write this song.Its a pretty chilled out tune with a summery feel to it.Check it out below if you have a spare moment for new music.All feedback welcome :) Chris Keys - Tonight (Live

CheersChris http://www.chriskeys.com/ https://www.facebook.com/chriskeysofficial    

John Barker's picture

Hey,

Sounding great! I too am from NI so perhaps I am bias a little. My only real feedback on an otherwise great video is a question:

Have you squeezed the video to create the 2.35:1 look or just put on some black bars at the top and bottom? Seems to me that it is slightly distorted but perhaps it’s just in my head.

I would advise the next time you shoot, keep in mind that you might want to do that in post and frame the shots to allow for it. Then you will not lose any detail when you add the black bars.

Looks great though, keep it up!

Cheers,

iamJohnBarker

iamjohnbarker.com - helpful blog for first-time videograpers

Muso1070's picture

Hey John, great to hear from you!

Yea buddy i was thinking the same, its looking a little squeezed!

Not to worry with this one now but ill be looking into that for the next video i start!!

Thanks again man for the positive comments!

Chris

Muso1070's picture

Any one else got any constructive criticism for me? Im trying to improve my music video making skills and your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

trusso's picture

I do nto like the b\w cutaways. They seem disconnected. Other than the short solo, it looks like he isnt playing what is being shown in those clips (he is picking when we are hearing full chords being strummed). There almost seems no reason to put them there other than to break up the one camera shoot. I would have had a side story going on instead of the very similar shots going from color to bw. Is this handheld? It looks like it is. If so, I would find another way for the camera to move as ifi t was floating. Just my opinion. 

Muso1070's picture

Hey thanks for the constructive criticism! I do appreciate all feedback.

Thanks again

Chris

Martin Johnson's picture

Hi. Be nice to light it so there wasn't a shadow on the wall. A softer light source will help - maybe a bounce light off a wall or reflector? I agree about the aspect ratio - it does look squeezed. With so many formats out there, you do need to concentrate on shooting and editing so that the formats are consistent. Nice song.

Martin

Muso1070's picture

Thanks for the info Martin much appreciated and im happy to hear you like the tune!

Thanks again.

Muso1070's picture

Any other ideas how to improve the video?All feedback is appreciated, good or bad!

Creekhouse Productions's picture

Song is good.  I agree with some of the previous comments.  Lighting could be better.  The shadow on the wall doesn't look great.  The b/w cutaways I would have done differently. 

My main critique though, is that you need more variety in your shots.  Next time you shoot a song, play the song upwards of 8-10 times.  Focus on different shots each time.  Wide shots one time, close ups another, medium shots, extreme close-ups, focus on just the guitar, the mic, just the singers face/eyes/mouth.  Get high angles, low angles, and side angles.  On a positive note, the camera shots are steady and have good fluid motion, so props there.

Good luck

Jon

www.creekhouseproductions.com

Muso1070's picture

Hey Jon, that all sounds great!! 

Can't wait to try some of that out, thanks very much for the info and ideas.

Much appreciated.

Chris

Muso1070's picture

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment guys, the single version & official video is under way :)Looking forward to sharing with you in the coming months! Chris

Muso1070's picture

Thanks for commenting buddy, i'm still getting used to the Camara and don't have a clue about colouring stages lol

Need to work on that part.