You are here

Need some advice on buying a Pro HD camcorder

Mr.Undecover's picture

Going to make a music video and need something with a good quality. Something under 7000dollars ca. These are the ones I have looked at.

Canon XF 305

Canon C100

I really like the C100 and the cinema look/preset(look)+ You can change lenses, but th e XF 305 has twice the mb/s 56 compared to 24mb/s on the C100.

These are the best I found.

If you would be so kind and give me some advice I would really appretiate it! Thanks:)

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Hi Mr. Undecover - those are both good cameras - but the XF305 has limited control of depth of field due to its small sensor and the C100 is so expensive that you won't have a lot of money left over for lenses.

If you are looking for the highest possible quality for your music videos, I recommend the BlackMagic Cinema Camera - a 2.5K resolution camera (significantly higher than 1080p) with more dynamic range than either the XF305 or the C100.  It has the option of uncompressed RAW recording, instead of the Canons' compressed codecs. When you don't want to deal with the size of RAW files, you can shoot in DNxHD or ProRes 422 compression.

Here is what this camera can do:

Order it from Adorama for $2995US - and they'll ship to Canada when it comes in this month.

Hope this is helpful and Happy New Year!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Mr.Undecover's picture

What sort of lenes should I look at for this (EF mount)?

Filming

Person(me) outdoors nature(Maybe wideangle?)

Some greenscreen

Filming during sommer

Mr.Undecover's picture

Also Bill!? What SSD would be good for this? There seems to be a big problem with OOCZ Vertex 3 SSD.Are there other options?