You are here

Live Chromakey

benivy's picture

Hey all, 

Anyone have suggestions on gear for  live, on set chromakey?

I've been looking around for one that can accept a wide range of video and computer equipment and do fast,live chromakeying - mainly speaking for on set television broadcasting.

Suggestions and links are more than appreciated!

Thanks.

benivy's picture

Budget is not an issue, at this point. What i really need is some type of chromakey equipment that will work on a PC and accept S-video and composite.

Thanks for responding, SargeHero!

pauleveritt's picture

Since you are looking at S-Video or Composite, are you planning to output your video in 4 X 3?  If so, any number of standard definition switchers will handle the job.  Panasonic AVE-55 or MX-12 for example.  $250 on ebay.

If you are planning to output in 16 X 9, none of these SD will do the job.  You will need a modern switcher, which you can probably rent, to output 16 X 9.

I have been looking for a good, COST EFFECTIVE 16 X 9 switcher for three years without success.  If money is no object, than your task is easy.  Any decent HD switcher will do what you need.  S-Video can easily be converted to component in with an adapter cable.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

If you don't already have one you will need a software to make live streaming possible. I read good reviews about Wirecast (I use BoinxTV, Mac only). With that software you can attach hardware such as Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle with your S-video or composite cables. There are other cheaper alternatives such as an EasyCAP, but if you have the budget consider investing in Blackmagic products. 

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

billmecca's picture

YOu could find an old Videonics MX-1 video mixer, iirc it does chromakey.  I still have one here in the office for the rare "webcast" when I have to mix three cameras... only issue is that it gets hot so people (all three of them) watching online got a nice shot of the Videonics logo when it reset during the cast..lol

But it is SD.

benivy's picture

Thanks for responding,gentlemen.

I've used wirecast before for the live streaming, of course it doesn't seem to do wonders for PC -at all.

Others have also reccommended Blackmagic, I shall have to check it out.

During my lurking on the web, I found a site that also houses chromakey products and much more. I was 

pretty impressed to find that they carry SD chromakey - compatible with PCs.

If possible, to all who are willing, I'd like some feedback on the DVK-200 chromakey. It seems legit, but I'd like 

more opinions as to whether it is a good product. Apparently, it also houses CG software.

the link is http://www.datavideo.us/datavideo-product-families/datavideo-chromakey-cg/

OPINIONS and COMMENTS are all valid!!!

Thanks!

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

I never heard of Datavideo, but the DVK-200 looks promising for the price and features.

As a side note I have seen in action the Tricaster's (I believe it was the 8000 model). This is the best of the best you will find out there, it has everything you could possibly need for chromakeying and more. The only problem is the price. After a 1.3 h demonstration of the Tricaster I asked the seller how much it cost...he said $40,000!!! 

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

benivy's picture

Whoa, 

That's definitely a large amount of mula.

I think I may actually stick to the datavideo switcher for now, I mean it is affordable and it is very easy to handle.

benivy's picture

Thanks for responding,gentlemen.

I've used wirecast before for the live streaming, of course it doesn't seem to do wonders for PC -at all.

Others have also reccommended Blackmagic, I shall have to check it out.

During my lurking on the web, I found a site that also houses chromakey products and much more. I was 

pretty impressed to find that they carry SD chromakey - compatible with PCs.

If possible, to all who are willing, I'd like some feedback on the DVK-200 chromakey. It seems legit, but I'd like 

more opinions as to whether it is a good product. Apparently, it also houses CG software.

the link is http://www.datavideo.us/datavideo-product-families/datavideo-chromakey-cg/

OPINIONS and COMMENTS are all valid!!!

Thanks!

SafeHarbor's picture

The new TriCaster 40 excels at live keying, and at just $4995, is far more than a keyer - it's a "portable TV production studio". Connect 4 SD and/or HD cameras, and live switch between them with plenty of transitions available. Apply chroma key to any of the inputs, and resize/crop/rotate the keyed subject. Virtual sets are included - place your subject in a realistic newsroom, or many other included sets, or any background of your choosing. Mac or PC computer inputs can be used as additional sources (beyond the 4 video inputs) via network cable, as well as Apple AirPlay devices (imagine your iPad video coming into the switcher wirelessly).

TriCaster 40 also has a built-in DDR, which allows playback of still and video clips from the hard drive - like having another video source (deck) that you can switch to at any time. Create a slide show, play back prerecorded "commercials", play backgrounds for the keying, etc. Eliminates needing to connect a VCR or tape deck source.

Want to stream to the web? Built-in HD web streaming output is included!!

You can also record your live event to the hard drive, so you have a "master" copy and can later edit that with your NLE to create highlights, DVDs, or other re-purposing of the material.

Also has 2 GFX channels to overlay custom titles and graphics onto your program output.

Depending on what kind of productions you plan on doing, you may find TriCaster 40 ideal to "do it all" for you, far beyong just keying, to produce very professional-looking productions for broadcast and live web streaming.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers