You are here

Lens Dilemma (Novice Inquiry)

Unorthodox Gent's picture

Firstly, let me say I'm new to the blog, so if there is a designated place for this question aside from this ((forgive me)) Okay onto the question. I am a novice videographer and so far I've made a decent intro into the craft with just my kit lenses 600D & 500D, now I want to step up my arsenal for better front end quality. I initially didn't want to invest too much money and then later realizer "HEY YOU SUCK AT THIS" or "HEY I DON'T LIKE THIS". Thankfully none of those seem to be reality (yet) and hopefully never. I've already made up my mind about getting the Canon EF 50mm 1/8. I've been shooting quite a bit of small promo videos and music videos, I have done a few random landscape shoots as well, so I'm looking for a nice wide angle lens, a nice telephoto and some other multi-functions lenses. At the moment, I can only afford two more lenses outside of the Canon 50mm, so here is my potential list: 

Vivitar 28MM 1:2.5 67MM

Quantaray 28-90mm 1:3.5-5.6 

Vivitar 28mm F/2.5 1:2.5 f2.5f/2.5 

Quantaray AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6

Quantaray Tech-10 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Sigma 24-50mm F/3.3-4.5

Quantaray NF AF 28-80mm D F3.5-5.6

Sigma 24-70mm F/3.5-5.6 

Check it out and let me know what your thoughts are, as well as suggest some other potential lenses I should look into (brand and/or size)

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

Normally I would not in any way suggest another forum. Videomaker is great but in this case its a buffet. You'll find many different people with many different experiences and talents. Lens selection gets down to the nitty gritty though (especially where money is concerned) and on a site like DSLR Filmmaking or DVX User you might find a greater number of people experienced in those specific cameras and lenses.

With that said, I run a lot of different glass on my FS-100 and VG-10. Primes are very specific to distance and you have to have it to use them. Something like the Sigma 24-70 would be a work horse lense indoors, shooting talking heads, music video's, what ever. You will have the ability to adjust to situations when you have to with one lense rather than three. I shoot a lot of outdoor type video, wildlife and such and I use a 18-200 and a 70-300 quite a bit but indoors I use a 35-70 more than anything. My primes I use in lowlight as they are f 1.4 and f 1.8. If I had a studio to block everything and had control over distance I would probly like primes better but I'm low on the totem pole and all about gorilla style. :-)

Something else I would suggest is getting into color correction. A lot of good info here on Videomaker in regards to that. A lot of people are looking at lenses for a finished product and mixing that with picture styles. Getting into color correction gives you some influence here. Some lenses are soft, some sharp, the color they collect can be overcome in post to a great extent. As far as any aliasing or artifacting, that gets specific to the camera model and lens, so I'm not much help there.

Thank you very much for the insight, I shall be putting it to good use. Sad to admit, but I was using Windows Movie Maker to edit my movies, needless to say color correction was a long shot on that (dare I say) video editing software. However I have recently moved up to Adobe Premiere Elements 11. I wanted to get my feet wet with elements before I jump into the big boys.

"Nothing to Do..Nowhere to Be..A Simple little kind of free"

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

Elements is getting pretty powerful. You can really effect the "Look" quite a bit with the CC tools it has now.

I heard, I did quite a bit of trolling on Youtube and was pleasently surprised and being a college student it's right in my price bracket, hope to have great sucess with that program and your lens suggestions.

Thank you.

"Nothing to Do..Nowhere to Be..A Simple little kind of free"