You are here

JVC gy-hm100E Lagging pictures

henrikbie's picture

Hi
I have a JVC "gy-hm100E" I usually play in VBR 35 Mbps 1080p/25f with.
There tend to be really nice pictures but if you move the camera or doing a sweep from right to left so extremely choppy images, especially if it is very bright pictures so I feel that it is getting worse.
If you set the camera on a tripod and shoot anything that moves that is no problem, but it is only when all the details of the image must uppdataters. In fact, my iTelefon do a better job!
My question is: Is the camera that does not do a better job than this or is it that I use the wrong settings (usually full auto).
Or is it my computer or monitor that sucks. (MacBook Pro A1297 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo (T9800) NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB and SSHD) screen we HDMI going in 1920p.
Mighty grateful for answers!
Sincerely
Henry

Daniel Bruns's picture
Plus Member

Hi Henry,

Don't worry. This phenomenon happens all the time - even to tbe best of us. The reason why you're seeing choppy images while moving the camera is due to a combination of a low frame rate and high shutter speed on your camera. When you have a high shutter speed, each frame of your video will have little to no motion blur when moving your camera. This results in crisp and sharp edges for all of the objects in your image. While that is usually, a good thing, when you have sharp edges on the objects in your image and you combine it with a low shutter speed of 24 or 25 frames per second, you end up getting choppy imagery (which is not so good). This is because your eye can easily tell the distance that a sharply focused object has moved across the frame in 1/24th of a second and in part because of the lines of resolution that the sharp object has moved through during the pan. In fact, if you have a shutter speed higher than 1/150th of a second and a framerate of 24 frames per second (or 25 in PAL), choppy pans are extremely likely to result.

My best suggestion for you is to either speed up the frame rate to 30 frames per second or more, or slow your pan and tilts down, or lower the shutter speed of your camera to 1/60th or lower. This way your pans will have more motion blur between frames, which will blend your frames together in a way that is easy to watch on a progressive monitor.

Try to change either of those settings and see what results. I think you'll be happy with the results. Good luck with your filming!

Dan

henrikbie's picture

Oh ..
Perhaps give a better result if you record in 1080x720 60 frames?
Will som test i think1
Giant thanks for the info..
Henry