You are here

joining MTS files

jakeman3's picture

I shoot long form events (an hour plus) on Canon consumer camcorders which generates MTS files. The length of the file depends on the compression

A one hour take will get split into 3 or 4 seperate files. When laid end to end on the timeline there is a glitch where they meet. Seems the problem is because of the 4 gig file limit of SD cards.This is not a new or isolated problem. Some day a geek of change that but in the meanwhile my question is...how can I seamlessly merge / join these file so they play as one long, flawlessly merged file?

Mike Wilhelm's picture
Administrator Plus Member

I've done it with MPEGStreamclip. I used to shoot with a camera that split video shots every two minutes! 

Just drag and drop the all the files together onto the screen and then export. It's free to download here: 

http://www.squared5.com/

--
Mike Wilhelm

Videomaker's Director of Content

Daniel Bruns's picture
Plus Member

Hey Jakeman,

Mike's right. In addition, you can also use the software that comes with any AVCHD camcorder to peice your files together. Also, QuickTime Pro also joins multiple video files (including MTS with the Perian plugin and the MPEG Component) into a .mov.

As you know, the files lose a few frames of video between each file due to the way MPEG recording works. MPEG Long GOP puts frames into a "Group of Pictures" usually of 12-15 frames each. If your recording medium stops writing a video file before the 12-15 frame group has been made, you could lose the frames it recorded before becoming a group or GOP. However, there is metadata associated with the clip that will instruct smart software how to join the two clips properly without losing any frames. The one Mike mentioned can do it, most software that comes with a camcorder can do it, and if you import your footage straight from the same folder structure it was written to in Adobe Premiere, you can keep these frames too. 

Hopefully that helps!

Dan

YNUS's picture

Jakeman, try SolveigMM Video Splitter.Editing frame accuracy within GOP.

Michael Robert Bonney's picture

if you need to edit the video before converting, this MTS Video Converter is also a good helper which provides not only convert MTS to AVI, WMV, MKV, MP4, 3GP, 3G2, but also plentiful editing functions including cropping video dimension, trimming file length, adjust playing effects, etc.

http://www.mtsconverter.net

Claude Massicotte's picture
Plus Member

I have used a file joiner (free) from Igorware

http://www.igorware.com/file-joiner

I do a lot of long shoots with files broken into 3 to 5 pieces.

File Joiner will take the files right from the camera and join them into a file that you can give a new name. (don't forget to include the MTS extension on the new file name)

This software has worked perfectly for my work for the past 2 years.

Hope that helps

Claude

rs170a's picture

Most camcorders some with a utility that allows you to do exactly what you want to do. If you can't find it, check the Canon site for it.

Mike

mikey32230's picture

SOLUTION:

You can try using Lehmann Video Tool (LVT).

I have developed a very simple easy user friendly program that will features the ability to merge AVCHD (.mts) files into a single (.m2ts) video file. 

The program also allows you to trim your video clips to the perfect sizes before merging them all if you wish.

You can try the program here or here