You are here

Ideal camera for bicycle touring

Daniele Giannotta's picture

Hi everybody! I'm new in the forum and unexperienced in videomaking.

I'm planning a big bicycle journey in central Asia with documentary purposes, you can check details at cycloscope.weebly.com. We're looking for a ultra light camera with semi-professional image quality and a reasonable price (<1.000€). Our interest is not to film from bicycles (or at least, to film few frames from the bicycles) but to have beautiful colours and good audio quality.

Do you have any advice for us?

Thank you in advance!

Daniele & Elena

Cycloscope.A bicycle journey trough central Asia .Ten short documentaries .An interactive installation .A new way of sampling landscape .A book about this all
cycloscope.weebly.comtwitter.com/CycloscopeTweetfacebook.com/cycloscope

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Hi Daniele - here is video from a shooter named Blanche who used her new Panasonic GH3 to record a cycling journey through Morocco last year:

If you want video quality like this, with cinematic shallow depth of field, 1080/50p for smooth action and slow motion, a headphone jack to monitor your sound, and a robust all-metal splash and dust resistant body - you should pick up a new GH3 for around 1000€ plus an inexpensive low light lens such as the Sigma 30mm f2.8

Hope this is helpful and good luck on your ride!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

necro's picture

well daniele, I advice you to use a Go pro HD hero 3 black edition with accessories availiable like head strap mount, chest strap mount also a cage pro to protect the camera, i believe it will be easier and much convinient for you to use for your journey coz it comes in a small size with good audio and video quality and also very easy for you to mount on your bicycle, chest and your helmet to take the footage.