You are here

Hollywood Greed or Quality Storytelling?

mhageman's picture
Plus Member

There seems to be a trend happening in Hollwood. Anyone else notice that the latest super block buster films are being broken into 2 feature-length parts or in the case of The Hobbit, 3 feature-length parts? It makes me wonder if producers intend on telling a complete and quality story by doing this, or is it that by breaking it into more parts, the profits for the fim will grow? Humm...Quality Storytelling or Greed?

It seems to me that each year this is happening more and more. Take Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final in the series, it was made into two feature-length - grossing $7.7 billion worldwide - the highest grossing film series of all time.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this growing trend - for one, waiting an entire year or longer to see the final episode is annoying and having to either remember exactly where the movie left off, or renting the previous movie to "catch up" seems like a waste of time.

Anyone else annoyed by this? Or do you think by breaking the film into more than 1 part allows the producer to create a deeper, more enriched experience for the movie going audience?

TammyLynnH's picture

I think the answer is both; Hollywood greed AND quality storytelling.  I do agree that it is frustrating to have to wait to see part 2.  I experienced this with Harry Potter, Twilight (yes, I'm admiting it on a public forum), and I know I will be anxiously awaiting the 2nd and 3rd movies for The Hobbit.

Harry Potter was well worth the wait, TBD for Twilight, and I assume it will be worth the wait for The Hobbit.  The Lord of the Rings in my opinion are some of the best, if not the best films out there.  Peter Jackson did such a great job, and I'm hoping he will continue with The Hobbit.