You are here

Hardware question

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

Hello all, I just purchased a Seagate terabyte hard drive. My question pertains to transferring my footage from my camera to the hard drive and from the hard drive to my macbook. Editing software is FCP X. 

Thank you

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

I don't use a Mac and the process may be different than on a PC. For us in the PC world, however,  one connects the camera to the computer, opens the capture software (depending on which software is used,) designates the drive to which the camera files are to be captured and begins.

The camera is recognized by the computer as an external drive; basically you're copying from one drive (the camera) to another (your Seagate drive.)

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

Thank you very much. Common sense question, I know, but I like to know the appropriate steps before attempting anything. Will let you know if it doesn't work out.

darbyohara's picture

As you see with Jack's response, it is rather difficult to answer your question(s) without first knowing the details of your video and equipment.  What kind of video format is on your camera?  Sometimes knowing the camera and model can answer what video is on a tape.  Different manufacturers use different formats and codecs although they all use similar DV tape.  If the camera and format are on a media card then things could be alot easier and it is just a matter of simply transferring/copying the video files from A (card) to B (computer).

Sorry if this isn't the response you were quickly looking for, but I think if you gave those details you'll get a better response rather than generic.

Note:  I am not a pro and a learning amatuer.  Perhaps just an expensive hobby.  I do know computers very well though.  My experience as a rookie is that it is always essential to provide as much details to get better responses to questions.  But try not to overload with too much.  Meaning, put yourself in the responder's shoe's in what they need to know and not assume critical things.

Anyway, I hope some of this may help and others...

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

Thank you, I am using a Canon HD XA10 and Canon VIXIA HFM41, also HD, both record on SD cards. I have an external hard drive that is one terabyte made by Seagate. The reason I purchased it is because FCP X cannot contain that much storage space. This hard drive can hold up to 300 hours of video, it's just a matter of finding how to transfer all my footage to the hard drive and then being able to edit from the hard drive on FCP X.

channelone's picture

Tim_Hughes_TX wrote:

Hello all, I just purchased a Seagate terabyte hard drive. My question pertains to transferring my footage from my camera to the hard drive and from the hard drive to my macbook. Editing software is FCP X. 

Thank you

I will pass this question to one of my editors who uses a Mac and FCP, but in the meantime if I remember correctly you mount the drive and the camera and then both appear to the Mac as drives then you can transfer from the camera to the external drive or capture from the camera to FCP and render to the external drive.

Wayne