Floating Object Illusion with Moving Camera?

Bucadyz's picture

Hello,

I have a question about a certain effect I'm trying to achieve with FCPX. I want to make an object appear as if it's floating. I know the way to do this against a not-moving-background would be to shoot a video of just the background, and then shoot the levitated object with string or something, and then layer mask out the string against the background video that was shot.

However, how would you do this with a moving camera? For example a tracking shot or filming handheld style, how do you achieve the same effect? Is it the same way, with a background and the object, and you just have to hope that the two videos you shoot line up perfectly? Or is there a more efficient way to do this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

John

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

It's not entirely clear what you're trying to do but it would seem that this could be accomplished with chromakey, or a mask and key framing. Shoot the background. Shoot the floating object against a background that you can key out or make transparant, or create a mask to isolate the floating object. Then keyframe the object to move as required. No need to levitate, use strings, etc.

ldedear's picture

This process is called "rig removal", and there are many tools and techniques to accomplish it. Most are fairly tedious, but definitely worth it. Try a web search.