You are here

FIRST COMMERCIAL

Joshua Knight's picture

Hey Guys! I just finished making my first official promo for my own business

please check it out and tell me what you think

voodeux's picture

Well, you've got lot's of eye candy there...and all the right buzz words. Not sure that it adds up to an effective promo though. The 'dead-air' from 14-21 seconds seems out of place, as does the rotating earth graphic. Do you have sample productions that you could show? It appears that you're selling yourself as a motion-graphics artist. If that is the case, then this promo would make more sense.

Moab Man's picture
Plus Member

Plenty of descriptive words in the promo, but you never told me what Knight Media actually does.

saltlakestudio's picture

The video is good but I think I prefer to make it simple. But the video has the ability to catch the attention of the viewers because of the uniquness of the abstract of video

http://saltlakecitystudio.com/

Joshua Knight's picture

Well I'm starting a commercial production focused firm, I want to produce commercials here in syracuse but not local quality, I want to excel to national quality productions, I think this is a reasonable goal considering im only 20 and have lots of time to reach that goal.

I created this video for two purposes, 1 is my homepage on my soon to be finished webpage, where next to the video I will describe what I do, so I dont need space in the video to say it cause on the webpage it will be explained, and the video will demonstrate my talent

The second purpose was purely internet based advertising via facebook page, youtube ads, google ads and the like, in all these settings the "what i do" will be right below the video in the description, and a link to my website will be present, because of the internet marketing stratedgy im adopting, I will always be able to provide information about what I do along with the video, giving me more room to keep the video tight and focused on inspiring the audience to find out more about me.

I will do any motion graphics or design anyone wants, i will be doing productions in my local market, and i hope to get some stock template sales on revostock, videohive, and the like with my motion graphics talent

as for the dead space, I will probably close that space up this week when I go to smooth this video out a bit more.

Joshua Knight's picture

Really to be a top producer in your city you need motion graphics, It sets you apart from anyone producing anything without it, almost 99% of national quality commercials have some kind of motion graphics, so this is hard sell point for me, my market is almost untapped, no good producers have done anything here until 2006. My main sell point is take your budget and make a commercial that sells your image, and when placed in line with other national productions it succeeds. Producing something with same level and quality of national commercials will get people business simply because the add looks like a national commercial rather then local and that says they are stablished and are doing good business.

dagunner's picture

You have good ideas but I cant help but notice you have terrible grammar. You should proof read ALL communications as they do lead back to you. Good luck. 

Joshua Knight's picture

Yes, your not the first person to point that out. I don't completely care about grammar on this forum, there are other forums where I use proper grammar. Simply put I have yet to see a profile of a member where there website showed they where talented, Vooduex so far has the best productions on his website that I have seen. I don't think any of you will be looking to hire me out for motion graphics, even though since I'm just starting my rates will be low, and my products good. Many of you don't use motion graphics or animations so why would you hire me to do so. I don't really see a customer base on this forum, if it arises I will streamline my communication with professionalism.

trusso's picture

JKnight wrote:

Yes, your not the first person to point that out. I don't completely care about grammar on this forum, there are other forums where I use proper grammar. Simply put I have yet to see a profile of a member where there website showed they where talented, Vooduex so far has the best productions on his website that I have seen. I don't think any of you will be looking to hire me out for motion graphics, even though since I'm just starting my rates will be low, and my products good. Many of you don't use motion graphics or animations so why would you hire me to do so. I don't really see a customer base on this forum, if it arises I will streamline my communication with professionalism.

Personally, you seem to have a bad attitude. Saying that you dont care about your grammer on this forum makes you sound like everyone here is not important enough for you. A word of advice..... be professional everywhere. It doesnt matter where. Any search of you on the net will bring it back to this forum. If clients see you acting like this, then they will not want to deal with you.

The same theory goes for telephone interviews, or employees who give telephone support. Many employers insist that you wear a shirt and tie when giving PHONE support, even though no one will ever see you. The reasoning is that you will act more professional if you are dressed like one. You should be professional everywhere. Even here.  Your posts are on the internet and will be forever. Acting condescending will help clients make a decision NOT to use your services. You need to humble yourself a bit. There are thousands of editors that can do what you do. The successful ones will be the ones that listen more than the ones who are trying to dazzle people with motion graphics. That stuff only works on the young, mindless, Ipod generation who have no attention span (and no money to buy their product). You sound like the new guitarist that uses tons of effects than sound cool, but no professional would ever think of using because of their cheesiness. Good luck.

Joshua Knight's picture

First, let me apologize for acting like a jerk, I didn't fully mean to come off arrogant and pompis.

Second, I did an extensive google search with both my name, and my company name and neither were traceable back to this forum, especially not this thread, since my name is very common, and the company name is not copyrightable so there is 6 others with same company name around the nation.

Third:

trusso wrote:

The successful ones will be the ones that listen more than the ones who are trying to dazzle people with motion graphics. That stuff only works on the young, mindless, Ipod generation who have no attention span (and no money to buy their product). You sound like the new guitarist that uses tons of effects than sound cool, but no professional would ever think of using because of their cheesiness. Good luck.

Not to continue being a jerk, but when I read this, it makes me think that this the excuse someone who doesn't use motion graphics would say to belittle the use of it as if it does not add quality. When in fact it does, because it indicates skill and professionalism. almost every single national commercial uses motion graphics or animations, these tools broaden the horizon of our creativity, they give us a beautiful pallete of visual stimulation we can achieve that was not possible simply with a camera, to say it only works on the mindless ipod generation, is wrong in two ways, one you limiting your creativity and abilities by dismissing it and saying it only works on 20 somethings and younger. On top of this your calling my generation mindless, that is a large over exaggeration, I would say that we are technology dependent, but some of the smartest most innovative people adding to todays technology and tommorows future are in fact, young, the ipod generation.

also you said they have no attention span, if this were true then it wouldn't matter what effects you use cause they would pay attention. In fact this generation has one of the most intense attention span yet, it's simply that with all the tech media and friends surrounding them, they pay no attention to important things, but yet they can game for 12 hours with losing focus. This is not the fault of this generation, it is the fault of the parents who do not teach their children priorites like familly and responsibility, and it all started with the 70's generation who were all about sexual freedom, peace and love, which results 3 generations down the line with a rebelious set of young people who isolate themselves from adults.

Motion graphics is extemely effective, if done with quality, from ages 7- 45, thats a huge range of customers, after you break the mid life range you get people who don't really have a reference point for motion graphics since its a new technology of the last decade and a half, thus they don't really care, they have insurance, they have a car, they have food, they have a favorite grocery store, they have kids, and there processing speed has slowed down so why pay attention to something flashy when you already all set in life, and it takes you a minute to figure what you just saw.

dagunner's picture

All of us on this site are capable of producing our products without outsourcing any element of them. If you came to this forum thinking someone here would hire you for your simple animations you are wrong. Most of the forum members have the talent to survive just fine. I cant see how you can talk negatively about us like that. I guess you are not out to make friends here for the future. You only show animations so I wonder how your skills are at setting up shots, sound, lighting, and talent are? To survive in this business one has to be able to do it all. You are coming off as arrogant and acting like you are above us. I am amused my this and not offended in the least bit. All you show in the video can be learned in 5 minutes on you tube. Good luck! I am still trying to figure out your mention of local quality vs. national quality.

Joshua Knight's picture

Well you don't have a website posted on your profile for me too look at your work, so my comments didn't apply to you. What I have noticed is that site has quite of bit new guys, or people who just don't do high quality inspiring work. Video is about the buzzwords I used, I didn't use those buzzwords in my animation because they sound good, it's what I think a video should be, every commercial production should grab someone's attention, hold it with HIGH quality sound, HIGH quality videography, and High quality motion graphics. If all 3 elements are high quality people will watch the commercial because its entertaining, and the more people who watch your ad the more effectively you have done your job. The key to marketing and advertising is the level and quality of the ad, not what you say in the ad, because when it comes to sell time, people will not remember what was said in the ad, they will remember the quality of the add, and how they felt after the ad. The greatest way to bring people to contact a business, is to make them feel inspired or feel like the business is epic of amazing, if the ad looks amazing, in the mind of the average person they subconciously think the business is good too.  The second way to bring in sales, is first thought memory, in other words when a 20 year old suddenly has to buy health insurance but has no idea where to start, he remembers 4 things, geico, allstate, state farm, and usually one local, then they remember things like "like a good neighbor state farm is there!" these things lead people to look at one of those they remember, which one they choose will be determined by how amazing the ads where, cause thats all they are gonna remember

I thought most commercial producers did awesome quality work, boy was it interesting when I realized how many people are in the business but can't make something inspiring or eye catching, anyway you are right whether I'm gonna use this forum at all or not, I still should not be condescending or cocky.

and as for wether or not I can setup sound light or talent..... if i can animate and do motion graphics then I should be good at those just as well, to me those are the easy parts, sound is mathematic almost, digital volume levels should always peak at -3 DB, but not break 0DB at which point it distorts. 3 point lighting is basic learned it at community college. Although I would argue, that the standard of lighting everything is a dated practice, with this years generation of DSLR and there wonderful ability to record raw footage, and amazing light sensitivity, most lighting kits will make you raise your fstop from 1.4, to keep it from being overexposed during in door shots,  raw digital files, can be changed and post prodcessed in no time, adding light to scene with after effects or priemere, from my expirence I gain no quality in the visual from 3 point lighting anymore, as much as everyone wants to claim, having 3 point lighting just doesn't do much unless im in a low light situation, as for saying that a hotter color temprature looks better, I can color grade with magic bullet or change the color temprature in the raw files.

darbyohara's picture

Dude, I am no expert and basically troll around here to learn.  But I have to comment... each of your replies make you sound like someone arrogant and pissed off for some reason.

And I am not sure how many readers actually finished reading your replies but is all that information necessary?  Are you trying to lecture the pros?

Allow me to give you some advice, which you probably will ignore anyway...

First, as others clearly state, be careful of your grammar on professional websites.  Sure there are amatuers here and I am one of them.  But by you posting your work and asking for feedback isn't a time to look foolish.  And each of your replies appear that.  Second, try to acknowledge what the people are trying to say.  They aren't posting to talk down at you (unless you talk back, as you have).  The advice they give may not be what you are looking for... but be thankful anyway.  If you understand how the world operates... many times advice is not free.  And if you realize that, then start thanking them and be kind in your replies.  Lastly, always always remember that there are alot of folks out in this world that know alot more than you do.  You are not any subject matter expert in anything, especially being only 20!  You may have ideas and preceptions... but others have worked and struggled for years, maybe decades "knowing" what you may never understand.  Remember that in everything!

I am a layman video and photography person.  I try to learn what I can and this is just a simple (rather expensive) hobby for me.  I've gained so much information and details just on this website and I really appreciate it.  You should to.  Slowly read back your replies before hitting the send button.  Everything is sheer common sense!

Unless you are truly arrogant and pissed off...

jroush's picture

• Was it just me oris there a ton of videocopilot vfx.