You are here

Directly Recording Audio from the DJ Mixer

hss_rao's picture

I am new to this forum, and not sure if my question was previously posted. Nowdays, most of my clients are demanding better audio, even though the on camera mic on my Ac90 is excellent. So I was looking into some options and found the Sennheiser ew100 g3, has a wireless plug on transmitter which can be plugged into any hand held mic. I was wondering if anyone has used this plug on to connect into the line output of the DJ mixer and connect the receiver to the camera using the 1/4 jack to XLR out. Else are there any other way to do it, without running bundle of cables from the mixer to camera, crippling the mobility. I am usually a songle shooter.

Thanks in Advance

Hssr.

fx1shooter's picture
Plus Member

I have not used the ew100, but doudbt that it would work the way you intend it to...

my recommendation would be to record the sound (from the DJ ) to a portable recorder like the zoom h4n. Then mix the sounds ( zoom and cam) during post. This would give you the best sound

your camera would capture the croud and sound and the portable recorder would capture the event sound no noise ( croud and other)

rs170a's picture

It will work that way. I have that kit and have used it that way before. The key is to get the proper level going into the transmitter. If the DJ is any good that will be able to give a signal at the proper level. If they're not good (and a lot of them don't have a clue about such things), then you have to be prepared with a lot of different adapter cables. You have no idea if the audio board will have XLR jacks/plugs, 1/4 inch mono or stereo jacks/plugs, RCA connectors or 3.5 mm. mini plugs/jacks. For that reason you must have a wide assortment of adapter cables in your kit. Shure makes an XLR-only adapter that is switchable and is designed for just this purpose. B&H sells it for $40.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68600-REG/Shure_A15AS_A15AS_In_Lin...

I recently got into a similar discussion on this forum so check it for more suggestions.

http://www.videomaker.com/forum/topic/boosting-line-audio-signal

Mike

hss_rao's picture

Thanks fxshooter & rs170a. I had purchased a audio technica attenuator, looks like Shure is also about the same price. Will see if Shure is better, may be I will return AT for sure. H4N was slightly out of my price rage, so bouth a Tascam DR40. I hope I should be able to get the similar results.

rs170a's picture

The only differences I could see between the AT and Shure attenuators is that that AT provides a -10, -20 & -30 switch while the Shure is -15, -20 or -25 attenuation. Both are the same price at B&H. Either one will work for your needs.

Mike

hss_rao's picture

Great. Thanks. All your feed back has been very informative. I have another two weeks time for the actual D-day for live and practical testing. Will let you know how it goes.

nickpiegari2's picture

Hi Hssr,

I've got a video JUST FOR YOU.  (Well, not really.  We've been planning this one for a little while, but we thought we'd move it to the top of the stack when we saw this thread.)  It moves a little quickly, but it should help you find your way around a DJ mixer.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYi1WgB8cEs