You are here

Convert 60fps to 24fps?

MagicMusic's picture

Well I'm shooting a dance video, and I want it to seem very cinematic. I want it in 24fps. During the dance I want to slow-motion during some moves. Should I record the whole video in 60fps, and if possible convert the whole video to 24fps (cinematic feel), and conform the slomotion parts? 

Is it possible to convert a video recorded in 60fps to 24fps to get the cinematic feel?

I have Adobe After Effects, and Sony Vegas. 

rs170a's picture

In my opinion, you'd be much better off shooting only the segments you want to slo-mo in 60 and all the rest in 24 to keep the cinematic feel. You can do the 60-24 in AE or in Vegas.

Mike

Rick Crampton's picture

" Well I'm shooting a dance video, and I want it to seem very cinematic. I want it in 24fps. "   Yup, strobing and/or blurring should do the trick . . . .

dellwovideo's picture

Part of the 'cinematic feel' is the motion blur you get from 24p with a 180 degree shutter angle (twice as fast as your frame rate - in this care shoot 24p with as close to 1/48 shutter speed as possible. On my camera that's a 1/50.)

Be careful with camera movement or you'll add what is in my opinion an excessive amount of jutter with these settings. This is just one of the reasons you seldom see fast pans in movies.

The following is the way I understand the process - I have yet to experiment with this myself, so if I'm wrong, someone please tell me. :-)

As for the 60p to to 24p conversion, that's a bit of a misnomer for what you're trying to do. A conversion should give you the same video, only now wrapped inside a 24p frame rate. What you want to do is simply slow down your video until it matches a 24p frame rate thereby giving you the slow motion with your footage shot at 60p (and a 1/120 shutter speed - I would round up, not down, for best image quality) in a 24p project. If my math is correct, you should set your speed to 40% in your NLE for those clips to get them knocked down the 24p, although they should still look pretty good even slower.

As for shooting the rest in 60p - I know the motion blur CAN be done in After Effects, but why punish yourself? Just shoot it 24p in camera like Mike said.

My best advice would be to experiment well before the big day and see what you like best and how the process works within your particular NLE.

Daniel Bruns's picture
Plus Member

Hi MagicMusic,

I totally agree with Dellwovideo, with one exception (and I say this with a lot of respect for his answer). I would be careful in slowing down the 60p video in a 24p timeline. Depending on the way your editing system interprets the native playback framerate of your 60p video file, it could automatically treat or convert your video as 24p when you play it back in a 24p timeline. This will result in a video that plays back at normal speed when you place it in your timeline and most importantly, strobey video when you slow down your 60p footage. Instead, I would make sure that your editing software is interpreting the playback framerate of your 60p video as 24 fps. This way, when you drop your video into your timeline or sequence, it will already be slowed down by 1.5x.

In order to get it to play at normal speed, you'll have to increase the speed to 250% (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, my math isn't always accurate). In order to get the video to play in slow motion, you can simply decrease the speed of the video and it should play back with a full frame for every frame per second in your video making it look great while getting rid of the strobey look.

If you're editing in After Effects, you can make sure that your 60p footage is interpreted for playback at 24 fps by right-clicking the video file in your Project window and choosing Interpret Footage and Main from the drop-down menu. Then under the Frame Rate heading, Choose the radio button that says "Conform to frame rate:" and type in 23.976 into the blank field next to it. Hit OK and you're good to go!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do the same thing in Sony Vegas. Maybe someone else can chime in to help!

Dan