You are here

Best camera for 120fps/720p video?

Sup3rnova's picture

Hi,

I did a quick search on the subject but couldn't really find what i was looking for so i'm reaching out to you guys for help. I shoot lots of extreme sports, rally races etc. And my current hardware that i use is Canon XA10 and Gopro Hero3. Now i need to find a affordable(max 700$) camera that can shoot 120fps/720p video. I know my hero3 can do that but it has no zoom and the picture it produces has a fish-eye effect.

The best option i found by now is Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7. Any better suggestions?

PS. I apologize for the bad language, i'm from Finland so my english is not perfect ;)

Laguna Hiker's picture
Plus Member

First of all, your English is fine--much better than my Finnish! ;-)

I'd recommend the Lumix you mentioned--it gets some of the better video out there. I use a similar camera when shooting places where my Panasonic AC130 won't go. The Canon S110 is a comparable camera that has some nice features, as well. I like the Lumix, because it takes an optional viewfinder. It's biggest drawback is a limited zoom range.

Sound won't be great, but it's fairly easy these days to get good sound on a Tascam or Zoom audio recorder and mix in post.

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

The Panasonic FZ200 is probably a better choice for 720/120p slow motion (720/100p in Europe).  It has an external mic jack, a constant f2.8 lens and a 24x zoom range.  You can get this camera for less than 400€ at Amazon DE.

Here is what this camera can do at 720/120p:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Sup3rnova's picture

I think i'll buy the FZ200 since the size of the camera isn't a problem and the 24x zoom is something i think i will find useful. Thank you for your responses :)