You are here

A very green newb needing advice in cutting...

stevae's picture

Hi, this is my first post on here, and yes, i am the dreaded extremely new person, who knows nothing about this software, other than the interactive tutorials i've used.
what i would like to do is go through all my originals, and cut off anything that is not useful, to first give me more space on my drives, and second to be left with only useful video to work with. it seems when i work with a vid in vegas, it creates another video, instead of editing the original. i can understand why this is desirable for most people, but i really want to trim all of my vids down, to save time when i am looking for what i want in any given part of my project.
lastly, does it have to be saved as a "vegas" product, or can i just save a project as a normal mp4, mov, avi, ect...? thanks for any and all help.

paulears's picture

Video editing, never by default alters your original files - that would be so dangerous for most people.  However, there is no reason you cannot load your files in, edit them, then export the video file with a new name. Then if you are happy, you can delete the source files. The only thing to ensure is the output settings are the same as the input ones, and you don't accidentally save it with a lower resolution setting, because once, gone - it's gone for good. The vegas project is simply the file format that allows vegas to load in the video files and manage them. The small size of the vegas file is because it's essentially instructions, not video. the mp4,mov, avi etc file types are the video files - the big ones. 

To be honest, I have never trimmed down a video to save space in my life. All my original tapes and now cards are on the shelf in the same state as they were when recorded. I can see that if the files are full of wasted space with rubbish material, then recovering a bit of space is valuable, but video files are so big, that if as a beginner you are short of space already, then you just don't have big enough storage. I keep the original cards and tapes, AND a copy on numerous hard drives. When you get short of space, get more - don't waste time editing to delete duff files - it's so time consuming and pretty pointless. External drives of large size are now not even that expensive -  only about ten tapes worth, cost wise. Video editing means HUGES video files. Just how it is. You'll also find that chopping ten minutes off the beginning and end of a long clip takes you considerably more than ten minutes to do!

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Everything Paul says is absolutely correct. Let me sort it out a bit for you so you understand the process.

1. You shoot some video and import it into your computer. Depending on how it was recorded in your camera this could be an AVI, MOV, HDV or AVCHD file.

2. So now lets say on your computer you have a file, which you've just brought in from your camera, called "myvideo.avi" You bring this onto the Vegas timeline. What you really have on the timeline is a picture of the file.

3. Now you start to edit; you make a cut, setting an In Point and an Out Point. Nothing happens to the file called "myvideo.avi." Instead, a notation is made in Vegas that you have selected a piece of the file that you'll want to use when you render the final project. It's kind of like reading a book and making a note that when you write your book report you're going to copy of the second paragraph on page 35. The Vegas file, since it contains only notes and directions but no video, is very small.

4. Once every In Point and Out Point has been set and you've added all the FX and titles, the final step is to render your project to a final form, which can be in an AVI, MOV, AVCHD, etc., file format. When you select "Render As" you see the list of possibilities.

5. Finally, Vegas does give you the opportunity to discard bits of the file called "myvideo.ave" that you haven't used in your project. As Paul indicates, however,  this is not a good idea. It really doesn't save that much space and, if for any reason you want to make changes to your project you won't be able to do so easily because the source material has been deleated.

If you haven't done so already, get yourself a big hard drive -- a 500gb or a one terabite; SD video takes up about 14gb per hour, HD even more. Then you won't have to work about whether you have enough room for your projects. And once you're sure you've finished a project you can delete it from the hard drive, knowing that you've saved the camera tapes or cards that hold the originals.

Hope this helps.

Jack

http://www.videoccasions-nw.com

stevae's picture

i appreciate both answers, but i don't think i did a very good job of explaining myself. first, i am a newb to this software, not video. i already have a couple of two tb external drives. i shoot under water video, and a lot of my videos have a spectacular scene on them that lasts about 25 seconds on a two or three minute vid. the rest of the vid has nothing on it that i want to keep. so i would like to get rid of that part to save time and space. that way when i go looking for anything, i'm not wasting tons of time, instead i see quickly what i want.

paulears's picture

I see - I guess the only killer is time. You could possibly experiment with file splitters, that are downloadable, and they tend to allow you to split a file in two, and then they re-insert the correct opening and closing headers. You then delete the first one, and then split the second, chopping off the end. These should do what you want - then you go into the editor for your proper, accurate and precise adjustments. Using your real editor for this process normally means processing the entire thing, creating nice secondary files for clips and audio waveforms etc - hence the big files and long processing times. The file splitters just .. split. I can't recommend a good one because I don't use them myself. It could be worth trying some to see if they work for you. Just make sure they can work in the native format you are shooting in. Some, I understand, can't do HD, others only output in a compressed format - which then means you may have compromised quality. Try and see is the best advice.

P

Joshua Knight's picture

So you probably have like a 30GB 's worth of file for those under water shot

what you are looking to do seems simple enough to me

1.open vegas with new project, import your file to vegas

2. on the timeline from the source window edit everything you want out of your orginal files, with an extra 10 seconds for every part

3. export said file to destination and name you would like, this process is simple, its copying all the data you referenced and the orginal clips, and creating a new file from those references or links

4. you now have two file a large one and smaller one, you may delete the smaller file if you would like to

basically the same thing paul said 

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Check these out:

In the Sony Vegas Help Menu type in "Project Media Window" and explore the considerable information regarding what can be done in this window.

Also, in the Project Media window you'll find what looks like a lightning bolt on the extreme left of the window tool bar. This is the tool to "Remove all unused media from project." If a clip isn't on the time line it, along with all similar clips, can be removed.

Jack

http://www.videoccasions-nw.com

stevae's picture

ok, i'll give it a try and see what it does.

i also have another question. once you have worked on the timeline, and got everything the way you want it, how do you save it, where you can just click on it and watch it. i did a video the other day, and tried to save it as a wave file, but every time i did this, and then clicked on it afterwards, i just got an error. why doesn't it play? and how do it get it all on a dvd?

stevae's picture

the error gives the location, and then says server execution failure. what's up with that? why would server even come into the process of opening a wave file on your computer?