You are here

Your Number One Money Maker?

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Full, or part time, what is your number one money making gig? What percentage of your total video production income is derived from this category? Others? Mine are:

* funerals & memorials = 45 percent

* school events = 25 percent

* dance recitals = 12 percent

* community events = 6 percent

* web video for business = 6 percent

* weddings = 5 percent

* other = 1 percent

There are other incidental gigs, and sometimes there can be a higher average on any given month in one or more categories, but at the end of the year, for the past few years, this has been the case for my video production business. I no longer put forth a huge effort to generate wedding video production. Weddings continue to come via referrals from past clients.

D0n
D0n's picture

Wedding 50%

Magazine 40%

other 10%

A couple magazines eat up a lot of my time right now, then I get a few businesses and other jobs as well

Michael White's picture

EarlC, you've posted an interesting question...  I'm (relatively) new to video for hire, doing mostly Real Estate videos, which is progressing to other areas. I've decided to pursue video production as a source of income.

In pursuing the funeral/memorial videos, do you market more to the end clients or to the funeral homes directly? This same question can be asked of the "school events" as well? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I often market directly to the funeral homes, churches, ministers and other officiants, and related service providers. It is much easier and more approachable than, for example, sending a direct-mail piece or making a phone call to individuals ... " So, when you die, if you'd like to preserve the memories of all the wonderful things that are said about you, my video company does funerals." ;-) People individually aren't too excited about end-of-life events, or preserving them ... until it happens. I know you realize this, but was just trying for a bit of levity.

The primary hurdles in making ANY approach toward providing end-of-life related video services for the above establishments is tenacity, and once you DO break through their initial reluctance to listen to your spiel, then be prepared to be tested ... tested for patience, tested for reliability, tested for just about every promise you might make. The family counselors WANT to KNOW you will be there for them no matter when, what time or where, and the only way you're going to get them is by continually proving you CAN deliver WHEN they need you. In the early stages, slip up just once by not being able to deliver a service or product (memorial montages) and it can be a serious challenge to ever get them to use you again.

I've put all my experience into a resource package that has been rated outstanding by several persons who have acquired it. You can find "They Shoot Funerals, Don't They" at Lulu.com where I offer the most complete funeral and memorial marketing and production resource available. Look it up by title, or by my name Earl Chessher, if curious.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Avic, there are some great ideas and suggestions throughout the Videomaker forums, and you can also start looking for potential diversification strategies at my video production and marketing blog at E.C. Come, E.C Go

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

True dude, but they often have a LOT of family that has to be pleased with not only HOW I conducted myself during the services, but how I shot, how quickly I delivered and how I edited ... MANY more to have to please than the B&G and their moms and dads. ;-)

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Most of my work is under "corporate video" and most of that comes to me for my skills as an editor. While I can go out and capture footage, I find my greatest pleasure coming from what happens after the filming. It also allows me the ability to use a large royalty free stock library I've amassed (video, stills, music, graphics, fx, etc...)and just do the voiceover/text and fill in whats still missing with my home grown "stock" video sequences and stills.

Plus this way if the footage sucks (happens more than you would believe - working on a project right now like this) I can just blame the videographer and become the hero and save the day with my cleanup skills, related stock or stuff I just go out and quickly tape myself.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

Avic Okinawa's picture

Thank you, EarlC.

I came acrross this Videomaker site a couple days ago, and I found it very helpful for what I do.

I was surprised to know that there are many possibilities for videographers.

What a collection of in-depth articles your blog is, by the way.

I have a lot to learn!