You are here

XL2 and a Laptop with no Firewire

fjclaus's picture

It's been a while since I've been here. My equipment was sold but I've since gotten it back and now I'm trying to build up a portfolio but need some help. The laptop I have to use has no Firewire ports so I went out and picked up a couple options.

1. a Firewire to USB cable

2. A RCA plug to USB capture box.

I use option 1 and my camera says DV In and not DV Out so it wont hook to the computer

I use Option 2 and the red light comes on on the box but the computer does not show it's connected.

Is there a way to connect the Canon XL 2 into my Compaq laptop?

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Claus,

To fill in 'Cat's input, if your laptop's been made in the last 4 years it will have either an express card slot or a cardbus. Express Cards are more common and they are reminiscent of the old PCMICIA jammies just with a smaller connection interface. You can get them with firewire and continue to use your XL2. Another option is to just pick up a portable harddrive recorder or a flash card based recorder to download your footage directly from the camera. Doing a direct download from the portable device or flash media cards is much simpler (and less hassle than straight capture from tape.)

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com