You are here

XF100 vs iMovie 11

valleyboy's picture

OK, I lied. The real question is, is there some way to use the Canon MXF format (from a Canon XF100) to work with iMovie 11. I don't think I need FCP, as I am doing a simple documentary, with single camera, mostly interviews, nothing fancy at all.

The Canon website lists FCP compatibility, but that adds another 10%+ at least to the price of the camera, plus a whole new learning curve (i.e. massive time sink) I'd rather not go through.

I have found some 3rd party converters that claim to do the job, and they aren't expensive ($35), but on closer inspection, the software is actually coded in Russia, and I have a bad feeling about getting infected with a virus on my Mac.

Any experience and/or advice with this ? Please spare me the "man up and use a real pro editor" advice. I'm not a pro, I already have a complicated day job, I have limited time to spare learning another tool I mostly don't need just to get file compatibility.

Help !!!

MediaFish's picture
Plus Member

The only editor that I have found that works 100% without converting is Premiere Pro CS5.5. I went the route of trying to convert etc and yes some work but nothing is like working with the MXF file natively (no plug-ins and snap-ins or converting) - load the file drop it on the sequence timeline and off you go. iMovie is geared towards the consumer world. The xf100 is considered a pro camera with a highend file format. With all that said there is a product I have seen http://www.aunsoft.com/import-mxf-p2-mxf-to-imovie-edit-mxf-in-imovie/ that will work for what you are trying to do. They have a trial version you can test with.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

kaylawang's picture

To edit Canon MXF files in iMovie, Aunsoft Video Converter for Mac is a good choice. It could easily convert MXF/P2 MXF to iMovie native format AIC mov (Apple InterMeidate Codec) for importing into iMovie without problem.  

chris198810's picture

Due to the fantastic Canon XF codec, Canon XF100 can support the highest HD quality with Full HD 1920x1080 resolution, up to a 50Mbps bit rate and 4:2:2 color sampling. But when importing Canon XF100 MXF files to iMovie for editing, you will get a notice that iMovie can not support the format. As we know, the best codec for editing with iMovie is Apple Intermiediate Codec (AIC). So the solution is clear and easy. Convert Canon MXF to AIC .mov with Brorsoft MXF Converter.