You are here

Writing a proposal

dreambigmg's picture

I am looking for some tips on how to start, polish and master writing proposals for my company. If you guys have any links, examples, experiences please feel free to share.

We are talking with a local hospital that may need a coporate video done (potential bigbudget)and I would like to have a professional proposal prepared.

any info would be great!

grinner's picture

No need for a template. You can start with your regular letterhead or blank invoice and just list your charges and total it. I don't even do that, as a one man band. I simply send an email with my flat bid or I tell them when they ask me how much. It's as easy as multiplying my hourly rate by how long it will take me. Don't think you lose clout by keeping it simple. They like simple and if they are seeking multiple bids, you'll be the first one in by keeping it simple. As they discuss bids, it's easy to see who they'll go with when the conversation goes "well company A says they'll do it for x amount plus expendables and revisions. Dream Big will hand us a master and 20 DVDs for 20 grand and will have it finished in two weeks."

they really do like simple.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Dream,

It really depends on what company or individual you're courting as a potential client. Some companies won't give you directions to the exit if you don't submit a project proposal. Others are like Grinner described and 'only want the facts.' You'll have to research the company you want to pick up and find out how their preference for submitting contract bids.

It won't kill you to learn how to write them though. Writing proposal's is something every serious producer should know how to do. Just remember that writing a proposal for a corporate video production is slightly different than for a film intended for broadcast or theatrical release.

To give you an idea of what a typical proposal will look like and some other great info on running your production co. take a look at "The Independent Video Producer: Establishing a Profitable Business". I used it and a number of other books to get my co' off the ground and it really pointed me in the right direction. If you decide to pick up a copy, get it used for less than $10 bucks. Worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Independent-Video-Producer-Establishing-Profitable/dp/0240803396/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258242467&sr=1-2

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

dreambigmg's picture

Thanks for the information guys, really appreciate it.

i guess I was just curious on what the proposal entails and now it makes more sense.

Composite1, thank you for the link. I actually have that exact book and it is very helpful. I just need to go through it again and re-read the proposal part.

thanks guys