You are here

Working with DSLR

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Guys

I have a Sony Z1(E) but it's not something you have by your side all the time to shoot any unexpected/ interesting opportunities on the hoof. I've been looking for a camcorder that suits my budget to support my Z1 so I can take it on trips/ have in the car, etc.

Originally I was going to go with a <span class="fn">Panasonic HDC-SD900 but advice here suggested DSLR is the way to go. I'm looking at the Canon EOS 550D Rebel T2i as a possibility (as it shoots 1080p and I can even add an external mic) but it just seems strange to me using a SLR to shoot video. </span>

<span class="fn">Am I being a wimp or do I really get as good footage as from an assigned camcorder? has anyone any experience with the 550D? Did anyone else have to overcome this cultral view?</span>

<span class="fn">Be really grateful for feedback.</span>

<span class="fn">Graham</span>

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

graham, I too have looked into adding DSLR to the video cams that I use. I haven't tried any yet and have watched the comments on this forum about different models. Upfront it appears universal thatif you are shooting video with them the length of the continuous clip is limited to ~ 12 minutes (may or may not be a deal breaker for you). The Canon modelthat you mentioned is ~$100.00 more than the Sony nex 5 (the one I have been considering). I believethat the Canon's sensor is slightly larger.Both DSLRs are much larger sensorsthan the videocam you are considering. Although the Panasonic has 3 1/4.1 sensors. Three small vs one large- a discussion for another thread. I think that looking at the customer comments in the BHphoto web site for the two models may give you a little more insight into their +'s and -'s for using as a video cam. I noticed in these comments for both that there were some issues with focusing (manual/automatic) in the video mode. The physical format of the DSLRs would seem to be an issue for switching from a videocam, the learning curve may be shallow or steep. It seems that a lot of users of DSLRs for video have cobbled togethersome setup to make the physical form of the camera more like the experience of using a dedicated videocam (added expense). I've seen a lot of good video footage from these so... Let us know what you decide and what you experience with the DSLR if you choose it. Keep shooting.

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Graham - I have been shooting with still and motion picture cameras for a long time, so there was not that much of a cultural shift. I have to say that it is convenient to have a high quality still and video camera in one body.

I did have the Canon 550D/T2i and sold it in favor of a Panasonic GH2 for video for these reasons:

• The Canon has the 12 minute clip limit that vid-e-o-man refers to, the Panasonic does not.
  • The Canon lacks autofocus in video mode, the Panasonic has a capable video autofocus
  • Canon cameras have a hard time with patterned objects in video mode, creating a "crawling colors" effect called moire seen here:

http://vimeo.com/21962491

All of that said, DSLR form-factor cameras can produce great video as well as stills, their larger sensors can give you "cinematic" shallow depth of field, and their interchangeable lenses can provide you with flexibility that you can't get from a fixed-lens camcorder like the SD900. They are also a little less obtrusive than a video camera in some situations.

They are not perfect substitutes for a video camera, however. None of them have power zooms or headphone jacks for example.

It all comes down to what is most important to you.

Hope this was helpful,

Bill

http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com

MediaFish's picture

I use the Canon 7D and Canon XF100 depending on the shoot\situation. I have experienced the issues described above about the Canon DSLR's but once the issues were identified it was easy to work around them. IMHO - i think the Canon &D and XF100 are two of the best cameras for the money. PLEASE - keep in mind I am not saying the BEST CAMERAS just the best I have found for the money. We have two of each camera that are serving our efforts well.

Jeff Media Fish Productions