You are here

When are you successful as a cameraperson?

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Some time ago, EarlC brought up a post concerning when do you feel you're successful as a producer? In this discussion of 'Film Fellas' Director's of Photography from feature films, television series and corporate videos discuss their viewpoints on when one feels they're a success at the business of shooting. I think the discussion applies to both seasoned pros and for those who are venturing out on their first pay shoots.

FilmFellas - webisode 25 from Zacuto USA, Steve Weiss on Vimeo.

Hogwild's picture

For me, I think it's a mixture of all of the choices because none of them stand alone and require some portion of the other for personal success. Now, just what would be the right percentage of each....?

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I polled "being happy" but I have to say I kept moving the mouse back-and-forth between that and "being sought after" as my personal signal of satisfaction and success.

Maybe not particularly in order of importance I personally maintain:

Being happy doing it

Being sought after to do it

Being able to pay the bills with it

Being recognized by my peers as good at it

Being able to save a few bucks and putting in a bank that fails shortly thereafter :-)

XTR-91's picture

"Being Sought After" is what I voted, as it came to mind as my first, "Being happy" would have been my second. The mixture of all four which my mind calculated accordingly put being happy and wanted as the first two.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Maybe I should have put an 'All the Above' option in there. The reason I didn't because at various times in my career. I've experienced each option at differing strengths and they all were great and a PIA at the same instant. The only constant was even when things looked to be too difficult or going into the toilet, I was 'in my element' kind of like Robert Duvall's crazy Cavalry Captain in "Apocalypse Now" ("Yeah, one day this war's going to end....") Good or Bad I enjoy what I do, though the 'bad' part is more fun when talking about it over beers....

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Hogwild's picture

After thinking it over, I voted for "being happy doing what I love" because ifIprimarily had any one of the other three choices - andI'm not happy, then what would bethe point? My work would suffer, which would then result in being less sought after for such work, which then means less pending jobs and ultimately resulting with no cash flow.

So for me, it starts at the bottom of the list and works up.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hog,

It was mentioned in the video about a DP who was making a ton of money but hated his work. I've been in that postion making good money but hating what I was doing. It's not pleasant. Not to mention that eventually your work will suffer for it (and all of those nasty ill-health effects that come with it.) I think the 'happiness' part is key but the money and the full job book are the rewards for doing what you love well.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Earl,

BTW, love the new picture. Makes you look like a hardcore HW director. "Coming soon from Director Earl Chesser...." However, (though he said it disrespectfully) Grinner was correct, you do look like Kenny Rodgers in the new photo.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Been accused often over the years as having a similarity of looks (before Kenny's face-lift, gawd I hope NOT NOW). If ONLY I could sing like he used to, with the First Edition and solo. Also, I try to keep my girth a bit smaller :-) but I can live with the comparison overall.