You are here

What is the difference between Panasonic High Quality DVD and AVCHD disc?

compiler's picture

The Panasonic HD video camera has software HD Writer AE that provides copy to high quality DVD disc. What is the difference between the high quality DVD and AVCHD disc? Can any expert explain it?

Rob Grauert's picture

Hmm, I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'll take a stab.

My guess is the high quality DVD is SD and the AVCHD disc is HD. I think some devices, such as the PS3, play AVCHD. I could be wrong though. I don't have a PS3, nor do I have an AVCHD camera...

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

ACVHD discs contain HD video but on a DVD disc - You cannot play them on DVD players but need a BD player (unsure if PS3 will suffice). Saves you the money of burning BD discs.

DVD is as Rob said is SD (720 X 480).

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

compiler's picture

Hi birdcat! You said, "ACVHD discs contain HD video but on a DVD disc..." What type of the DVD disc are you talking about, the regular or blu-ray DVD? In addition, the Panasonic HD Writer AE provides two copy options, High Quality DVD and DVD. Both can be copied on the regular DVD disc. But, the high quality DVD is better than DVD. I do not know whether the high quality DVD is a Panasonic unique format or not. So, I ask what the difference is between the AVCHD and high quality DVD. The Panasonic HD video camera does nothave the AVCHDcopy butblu-ray copy option.

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

Birdcat and compiler.

I have a AVCHD Handycam, HDR-SR11. I burn AVCHD on regular DVD discsthat play on PS3 as well as Bluray players. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Plus Pro pack. Only drawback is that I can't put menus on these. Results played on a High Def LCD are stunning!

Vid-e-o-man

compiler's picture

Thanks birdcat. You said the AVCHD can be copied on a regular DVD R(W). How about the blu-ray? Can the blu-ray be copied on the regular DVD R(W) too?

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Compiler -

BluRay is a HD disc format - Special discs, burners and players are required.

AVCHD on standard DVD's can use standard DVD burners on standard DVD discs - You still need a BluRay player (or PS3 from someone's prior post) to play them - they won't play on standard DVD players.

compiler's picture

Hi Birdcat! Except for the data capacity, is there much difference in the video quality between the AVCHD and blu-ray disc though they both are the HD DVD?

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I have not compared the two but they have identical dimensions so I would imagine they would look the same - But as I said, I have not done the AVCHD discs, only BD,

compiler's picture

I have already known the HD DVD could be AVCHD and blu-ray. Do you know how many HD DVD formats are there right now (I mean the HD DVD formats, either on the SD or blu-ray DVD disc)?

Dave Haynie's picture

The "High Quality DVD" software creates a DVD-Video disc from your HD video. That's a plain old standard definition DVD. If the Panasonic software does its job, this will be a high quality DVD, but it's still SD.

AVCHD is a format derived from the Blu-ray standard, but these days a separate entity. Sony, Panasonic, and others support this. Its primary purpose has been for camcorder recording, however, most Blu-ray players will play AVCHD on DVD or memory card (assuming they support a memory card slot). Again, AVCHD is not part of the Blu-ray spec, it's a separate thing. But just like most Blu-ray players will play DVDs and even CDs, though that's optional, they will also play AVCHD.

AVCHD on a DVD is a subset of the Blu-ray specification, with a few weird little differences, and some limitation. For example, a properly authored AVCHD DVD will require only a 2x DVD reader, so the limit is 18Mb/s for an AVC stream, rather than something like 38-40Mb/s for Blu-ray. For memory cards, the format allows a peak of 24Mb/s, but that's not legal for DVD (it probably plays fine on your PC, may might fail on stand alone BD players). Unlike Blu-ray, AVCHD doesn't support MPEG-2 or VC-1 video, and audio is usually regular AC-3. The file system used is UDF 2.5 or 2.6, same as Blu-ray, so such discs will be unreadable on older PCs.

Sony does support AVCHD on the PS3 and on their BD players, Panasonic is another big proponent. Sony, in particular, has been a major proponent of AVCHD on DVD for camcorders, so it's no surprise they'd want players to support this -- the primary reason consumers buy DVD camcorders is the ability to play the discs without editing.