You are here

What do you do with your client files?

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

Hello Videomaker community

I'm asking this because I have like 100+ GB footage from clients. To all pros here, what do you do with your client raw footage after you hand over the final production?. Do you keep them store in DVD or external hardrive or do you delete them?.

Charles Schultz's picture

Thus far I keep them on an external hard drive; though I do not have 100gb worth. most of the footage that I have taken will not fit on a single DVD so I figure it is better to keep it intact on an external hard drive.

MediaFish's picture

I have every photograph and video taken over the past 30 years in some form for every client I have had - Rubbermaid bins, digibeta, beta, DVC, DVHS, VHS, 3.5 diskettes, data cassette tape drives, and hard drives.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Sarge,

Unless otherwise stated in your contract, keep all your tapes and digitized files as stock footage. Obviously, you'll clear projects off your drive, but keep an archive of the project file and the digitized footage on a harddrive and store it. You may do some more work for the same client or want to pull some files off to use as stock footage at a later time. The main thing is to keep it all in as universal a format possible for the inevitable need to shift everything to a more current medium.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

BruceMol's picture

I keep everything. I have two sets of 2Tb drives for each of my two archives - one drive set I keep at home, the other set in a large safety deposit box at the bank. I back up my video drives on my edit computer after I work on a project and only back up my email/business computer once a month. Altogether each month I back up my 4 500Gb drives to two 1Tb drives and exchange those for a set in the bank too. I have 1 drive I don't back up which has the end product for each customer in a folder - that's so I don't have to plug in (eSATA) archive drives when I (rarely) need to make a copy of something. By end product I mean, for a DVD customer, the iso file and cover art. For web clients just the finished video.

Recently one of my monthly exchange 1Tb drives corrupted so I reformatted the drive, got the other drive out of the bank, copied the data over and put a drive back in the bank same day.

I also have a big box of labelled miniDV tapes I keep in a cool place. I occasionally reuse tapes but not very often. When I format the tapes I number them and keep a list on my email/business computer of what tapes belong to what projects. In 4 years I've never gone back and recaptured a tape.

D0n
D0n's picture

I never re-use tapes.. so some stuff is archived on mini dv tapes... other stuff goes one copy on a firewire drive, these drives get used as working drives until they are near full, then put in storage when all jobs on them are finished, then a back up copy on nas raid drives and another copy on another nas raid drive, but saved as an mp4 movie in itunes...

finding a project in itunes is fairly fast and easy, and all I have to do is drop the mp4 file into roxio toast to burn a dvd or I can ftp the file... if I need original source material, then I search my archives...

everything on raids...

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Like Don I maintain a combination of archival storage options: miniDV tapes; hard drives; DVDs. Like Bruce, my most important client files and originals are stored in duplicate ... on and off premises.

shastabroadcaster's picture

Same here, Mini-DV tapes go in the drawer. The few times I failed to do that and misplaced the tape it ended up biting me..right...there...

After a seriously bad investment in a couple of Netgear SC101 Network Storage "Toasters" I found I had a half-dozen or so "Enterprise Grade" 250Gb IDE drives not doing much. BTW: if you have a SC101...get rid of it...you'll thank me...

You can get a IDE-USB converter cable and power supply for about 20 bucks on E-bray.

I formatted the drives for OSX, dedicated a drive to each major project, backed up the files, put the drive in a zip-lock bag along with one of those "do not eat" dessicant thingies, squeezed out as much air as possible, and then into the back of the fridge. So far it's worked quite well.

Note, if you happen to want to use one of the drives, take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature BEFORE you open the bag.