You are here

WEDDING VIDEOGRAPHY

waternyc's picture

Dear responders, my issues are as follows; and I hope to generate simple and to the point answers that are unbiased, practical, and most importantly current.

I need to select a camera for wedding/event videography. My budget is at around 5000 dollars. It would be great if I could buy a package that would allow me to provide superior quality through my investment in equipment and at the same time remain current. (I dont for my personal reasons want toinvolveDSLR as my primary videocamera)

I think everyone within the wedding/event videography business understands the issues that may be of concern in this business; furthermore a main issue that i have encountered is thechasm between the 10 +experienced guys and the less than 10 years videographers who have the dv vs no dv issue? FOr instance get the HVR-7zu that does hybrid recording or go with something fresher that is strictly memory based (is their risk or not when taping someones "DAY"? thanks for your humble and to the point opinions.

Bill

XTR-91's picture

I've heard of lots of people using a couple of z5u(s) for their wedding.

tylerknight's picture

I use a Sony Nx5u and I'm way more than satisfied with it! It does everything i need it to do at a wedding: great colour and detail, more than capable in low-light, has all the manual controls you would need to perform a wedding shoot, incredible battery-life, great image stabilization records to dual sdhc cards or buy a harddrive thatattachesright to the camera and have backup on that while shooting to the sd cards ( that should cover your missing someones "DAY" worries) best of all the price is right in your budget. all in all its a great camera and i highlyrecommendit!

waternyc's picture

thanks for the above simple and to the point questions. These are the kinds of answers I'm looking for. I forgot to mention that I do want to stay with Sony - so please confine your recommendations to Sony.

The only issue with the NX5U (which seems to be a great camera) is that you cant change lenses. But I'm open to hear opinions which say I will never need to.

In any case, please provide more recommendations on what you guys believe to be the following:

1. Professional grade cameras for wedding videography

2. Hybrid media recording ability (and now I can say notnecessarilyDV included)

Guys and gals thanks for the great help and info in advance - your knowledge and experience will help me in my future endevours.

Cville's picture

With a $5000 budget for your camera one other consideration is that you can not do an effective job of covering the event with less than 2 camera's. My part time co just added weddings to our list but I have partnered with a a DP that has been working full time in video for over 10 years. We have 3 sony hdv tape based cameras available for our shoots.

Would we like to have an all digital workflow? Maybe but tape does offer a very cost effective back up. We are looking at adding the datavideo CF card recorders in the future.

One of the camera's that we use is the Sony HDR-FX7 $1995 Not saying this is the camera for you but at the price it would allow you to purchase 2 and someaccessoriesfor your 5k.

Good Luck

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

Charles Schultz's picture

While you search for your cameras do not forget about tripods; good ones cost about $500 a pop. You can get away with a relatively inexpensive tripod for one but you want to make sure that the second has a fluid head that you can pan with. Lock down the cheap one and be stationed at the good one.

waternyc's picture

Cville, you know I have to agree that two cameras are better, but I'm going to take my chances shooting with one, because I dont have a partner. And since I'm starting out I'd like to get all my planned shots. I'm really leaning towards the HVR-Z7U, unless there is a more recent combination that will give me the ability to record to both tape and CF simultaneously. I believe this isultimatelywhat I want to start out with.

Ed
Ed's picture
Plus Member

Two cameras are better than one because your professional life is at stake. What will you do if your one camera fails during a wedding? This is a once in a lifetime event for many and you could find yourself in legal hot water for failing to deliver. 

Years ago I was a mobile DJ and worked many weddings. Early on I learned to always have a spare amplifier and a spare mixer because one never knows what might happen. 

Find a few extra bucks and get yourself a used but decent camera to have in reserve. Ebay is a good source for these. 

Just my two cents worth.

Shaun's picture

I use two Sony Z5's during the Ceremony and Speeches by myself. These are always next to each other as I have one shooting wide and the other is used for closeups - so I operate both at the same time. The rest of the time I use just one when I'm roaming. Also, if one camera goes down then you have a backup. I take three cameras to a wedding just incase (my third is a Z1). Also two cameras make your wedding video far more interesting and it's actually easier to film.

Sony Z5's produce great results!! Great in low light and just an all round fantastic camera to work with. But I would recommend two cameras, LED Light panel, wireless microphone and tripod as basic kit.

Beautiful Life -Cinematic Wedding Films and Wedding Photography

Cville's picture

Bill no doubt the z7u looks like it is a great camera. When it comes to multi camera you can do 2 by yourself. My partner shot my nephews wedding last year with 3 cameras by himself. Even if you add a consumer level camera if you are providing the complete ceremony it can provide you cut away shots while repositioning your main camera. You could lock down 1 camera at the back with a wide shot. It's also nice to have the second source for sound. You never know when you are going to need it.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

HJB Productions's picture

I was using the Sony vx2100 for a while, then moved to Panasonic DVX100B...tried the Sony HDR-FX7 but it came out short with low light. I recently bought the Sony HXR-MC2000U ($1749). Must say am very pleased with this camera...shoulder mount...internal 64GB solid state drive...SD slot etc It does both SD and HD video, which is good because some of my clients are not yet ready for HD. I did this interview in SD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq3tmxZ0nvo

This past weekend I did an all day event and never ran-out of recording media. 12pm to 3am the following day. Very simple controls.

HJB Productions

Silvis's picture

I never used the Sony cameras for filming wedding videobut I've used the EX3 and EX1 for other events. Both cameraperformedreasonably well in low light. But they are both ouf your budget.

I have used the JVC GY series for weddings. These camera a great. The best part isprofessional Fujinonlens. It's probably the best lens I've used.

I use DSLRs for weddings as they are cheaper and produce great image quality event in low light. Why don't you want to use DSLR? Also for the money you could get two DSLRs. Two cameras is essential to film weddings.

Harry Brooks's picture

SONY NX5, I use two...No need to change lenses, accepts 2 sd cards and a 12 hour pack if needed. Records to both sd cards at the same time. What more could you need except some experience. Good luck..

Harry

Give the Bride What She Wants!

mrkinyo7's picture

The SD footage looks good but then again, lights are a cameraman's best friend.

stefanvideomaker's picture

Two cameras are necessary but if you're just beginning out your business, you can use one good camera (Cano XF100 $2900) and have enough left over for a consumer HD camer ($1000), two tripods (one with fluid head), at least one light and a reasonobly priced mic .. altogether you will spend about $5000 and then you can upgrade as you get more experience and find your niche. My Long Island Wedding Videographer business started this way and we have recently mixed DSLR cameras into the mix providing the latest possible technology for the bride and groom's wedding video.

White Diamond Video

jammartine's picture

It is very difficult to choose a camera for wedding video because it needs to shoot great-looking video, and it needs to look like a professional camera. Nikon D5200 Black SLR is also a good camera for shooting wedding video.  There are many other good quality cameras also available in market. You can use digital camera for good quality video.

scubajam's picture

I use 4 cameras, control 3 with pan/tilt/zoom/stop/start, and do it all myself.  For weddings it's great to zoom in on each bride & groom faces for vows; can't do that with 1 camera.  Camera 1 is fixed wide angle from back of church or venue; runs continuously.  This is fall-back for constant shot while zooming or changing other cameras.  Remember, you zoom TO the shot, the zoom is not THE shot.  All rules can be broken, but don't do it often.  I put 3 cameras on Bescor pan/tilt units and run 3 wire 50 ft cords.  One wire is Bescor unit extension, 2nd is extension for Sony LANC to zoom and stop/start camera.  3rd is for SD via RCA plugs for a remote monitor.  Cameras record in HD, but a SD monitor is fine for viewing framing and composition.  4th camera can be anywhere, such as at the front pew to get party walking down the aisle.  All runs to a board where I control everthing except fixed wide angle camera.  This set-up works great for weddings, events, and sports.  Viewers are used to watching camera angles change every 5 seconds with commercial movies and TV; you should offer similar.  Can't do that with 1 camera.  Just need to be sure cables are run and taped or covered where they won't bother.  

Here's a sample of outside wedding.  I used 1 handheld then stabilized movement in post; 2 cameras with Becor pan/tilt, and 1 stationary wide angle at the back.  Try duplicating this with 1 camera!!  I just couldn't get all the wind noise out in 1 section.  Bride told me other videos shot by guests had lots of wind at most times and could not be watched.

This was just ceremony, lots of other activity after, including couple flying away in a float plane!

IMHO you don't need interchangeable lens camera.  A 10X zoom is much more versatile, and that's what most fixed lens cameras have. You won't be judged professional by 1 camera, but by your entire kit.  I have A1U, HC1, and 2 Cannon's, but they're old and I dont' recommend, although they still shoot great quality.  I like Sony for LANC, but have converted Canon wireless IR remotes to wired and get the same result as LANC.  Lanc has been changed by Sony to another name and connector, but there are adapters to use cheap LANC controllers (I use the $40 ones from ebay.)  This quality was dumbed down by youtube.

Harry Brooks's picture

The problem with unmaned  cams is evident in your above link. The shots are not centered and you cant change them. You also can not follow B/G if things change up very quickly which they always do. I used to shoot one cam in the early days 15 years ago, But now an experienced cameraperson is a necessity. I have trained my brothers,wife,stepsons, etc.So I always have an experiened shooter available.

Harry

Give the Bride What She Wants!

geraldprost's picture

There is a lot things said here that I very much agree with. Two cameras at least is a good start. One cheap tripod locked down is a good choice if you are alone. I liked working alone, if you work alone, more cameras will improve the product. My wife usually operates one camera now (I use 3 cameras). It is lots of fun with a partner that you work well with. The Sony 3 chip cameras with the 1/3" chips are very good for the money. Good mics never really lose there value. A good tripod will last a lifetime. Consider this, you are going to grow your business. Buy cheap gear and you'll end up replacing it. Buy good gear and you can repurpose it or sell it. There are a lot of things that are going to demand your money besides the camera(s). Tripods, mics, portable audio recorders, mic stands, wireless, computers, software, Lanc controllers, external video recorders, web sites -- there is a ton of stuff you can spend your money on. Priorize and make a plan to grow. Keep upgrading your plan as your style changes and technology changes. I hardly do any weddings any more. I do live theatre and dance. I'm making better money with less headaches. No bridezillas, or worse mother-of-bridezilla. 

scubajam's picture

I wouldn't worry about changing lenses.  For weddings shallow depth of field is not really an issue, and you don't have time to stop, set up actors, change lenses and lighting, etc.  You have to be quick.  A Sony camera will have 10X+ zoom, and can get XLR audio.  At least get one camera, even a cheaper one on cheap tripod, as stationary wide angle in back of ceremony, and in corner of room at reception (use a high tripod to shoot over heads), running continuously.  That way you can't miss anything, and can cut to it when changing your location, zoom, etc.  

onedelorean's picture

Having all of this gear is great but you need to consider a good insurance policy in the event of damage to your gear or even a liability claim in case someone is hurt due to tripping over your stuff.  I have been using Film Emporium for years and can't recommend them highly enough!  Best of luck to you!

Adam

www.SaturnEStudios.com