You are here

Wedding Mics to replace onboard camcorder mic

bennyboytx's picture

I run a low budget wedding video business, and usually i rely on either a tape out of the church's mixer onto a cd or my built in mics to create a decent sound. What kind of mics under $100 could I buy to put on either one of my 2-camera wedding ceremony setup. Is stereo good to have?

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

If they don't crowd your budget limits too much, the Zoom H1 (even though more expensive, the H2) make outstanding "audio bombs" to place where you need better sound acquisition: readers, officiant, B&G, stringed quartets & ensembles, soloists, etc.

A truly dependable and rugged wireless system such as the Sony UWP-V6 is GREAT but way over your limits; and most shotgun mic systems still will not deliver the clean, clear, crisp, sweet audio of a GREAT wireless or the Zoom units when placed properly in proximity to the desired sound sources.

Stereo often is or can be a good thing, especially in this day and age of 5.1 surround, but it's mostly useless for anything other than music elements IMHO, so long as the mono audio on dialog/narrative comes over on both channels in post.

crazzzystoner's picture

Rodemic is pretty good. It's a directional mic which is nice if you want to drown out un wanted sound and only pick up the sound of were its pointing. Stereo is nice but i'd get a directional mic first as the mic on your camcorder is stereo and probably not to bad. You could buy a digital voice recorder and a tie clip mic and strap that to the groom.