You are here

Videomaker Re-Design PLEASE READ

Mike Wilhelm's picture
Administrator Plus Member

Hey Gang!

We're re-launching Videomaker.com with a complete re-design very soon, but before we do, we'd like you all to have a chance to take a look and let us know what you think. Here's the information you'll need:

http://alpha.videomaker.com
user: friend
password: drupal2012

This is a shared log-in, so if you have any trouble getting it to work, simply try again after a few minutes.

Please give us feedback on the look, feel, and usability of not only the forums, but the site as a whole. Remember that this is an alpha version of the site, so you may encounter errors here and there. Those errorsaside,please leave your thoughts on usability in this thread so that our team can review them.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

Sorry Mike, my repeated attempts at logging in have all failed. I've also tried on different platforms. I'll give it a day or so and try again...

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Easy and immediate access clicking the link on your post Mike 3:14 p.m. Pacific Time. First glance, LOVE IT. Clicked on a couple of things, went right to them, easy to navigate, nice and clean. I will delve deeper, but my initial response is SUPER!

Earl Chessher

Mike Wilhelm's picture

@Ed Can you post the error you're getting? I'm curious if other people are getting the same thing.

@EarlC Thanks! Looking forward to more feedback once you spend more time with the site.

--
Mike Wilhelm

Videomaker's Director of Content

Moab Man's picture
Plus Member

I like the new layout. Freshened up, but not so different I feel lost. I run my own off-road magazine, similar in idea to this one, so I understand how some requests can seem a little piddly in the overall scheme of trying to update a site but here's my suggestions.

I would like to see a "Resources" tab. In that tab, and maybe it's just for Videomaker Plus Members, readers would find the various downloadable pdf's that have been sent out in emails with a download link. Many of these were handy compact information pamphlets or how-to resources. Additionally, generic release forms and documentation. Hope that gives you a sense of what I mean.

Final suggestion is for the community forum. At some point we're all beginners and have those beginner questions that were afraid to ask because it seems too common sense or simple. On my site we offered a "Beginners Corner" that had the tagline below it explaining this is that forum for those extreme newbie questions. Our moderators managed it with the understanding that no beginner is to bechastisedeven with so much as sarcasm, chiding for not knowing, or comments that "you should have searched for that answer before asking" (sometimes we don't know enough to know what were searching for). Those with experience that want to venture into that forum are welcome to do so and to answer those newbie questions. If you get frustrated by newbies that ask the same newbie question that has been asked a thousand times (and yeah they probably should have searched first) then just stay out of the forum. The forum serves as that place to wade in and feel the water before diving in to the forums with all the other kids. With all that said, the forums here are incredibly friendly, professional, and I don't see people flaming others. However, just seeing a "Beginners Corner" for any and all beginner questions makes the newcomer feel at ease to ask questions knowing it's a safe place to not look like an idiot.

Again, like the new layout.

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

Mike,

It keeps coming up with the login, followed by a "Authorization Required, this server could not verify...either you supplied the wrong credentials or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credetials required."

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

I like the design, easy to navigate. At first couldn't find the forum section I'm used to see in the right sidebar of the homepage. Personally I like seeing this section first thing in the sidebar (usually the only thing I look at everyday are the forums). Those are my thoughts, but still navigating articles and finding information is a lot easier. Great job!

PS: I remember when Videomaker.com was red. Happy that you're asking the community for feedback first before changing. If I remember correctly the website change design from red to the current one (white) without notice. When I visited after the change for the first time I was like "What happen to Videomaker .com?!". I swore I entered the wrong site. Something that will not happening now.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

I liked it. Very intuitive and easy to navigate. So it had functionality and also looked good.

Ian McNaughton's picture
Plus Member

Clean & easy to navigate. Tried hard to finds something constructive to say to make it better.

Perhaps minor suggestions might come later after it's been tried & tested. Good job!

Alexian

Zvi
Zvi's picture
Plus Member

The site search doesn't work. Any search just brings you to a page with categories.

Cville's picture

Spent just a couple of minutes looks good so far. Would love to see a mobile version or an app.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

Michael Daly's picture
Plus Member

Looked good to me too.I think thatmaintaining the magazine as a somewhat discrete entity from the Videomaker site now presents some challenges though, ... i.e what is best placed where and I think that's coming through in the comments. Where does one end and the other begin?If it's helpful here's my sense of the difference between the site and the magazine. WhenI getthe magazine Ilook forward toa few gee whiz moments and to haveideas put in front of me about concepts and equipment etc., I hadn't thought of previously. I really liked the shift in magazine presentation and compliments to you guys.

Mike Wilhelm's picture

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Feel free to keep poking around and let me know if you find anything we should know about.

@palladini971Unless something goes wrong, it should launch before the end of the month.

@Zvi Odd.... I'll pass this info along.

@CvilleIt's coming, but it will be sometime after the desktop site launches. In the meantime, have you tried reading Videomaker on Flipboard? It works surprisingly well.

@Larry RizzuttiVideo should show up in the switcher and "What's Hot" when it's new. As for having the player itself on the front page, I'll pass that feedback along.

@michael9 Fortunately, the magazine isn't going anywhere. :D Also, all the magazine articles do eventually make their way to the web, so just keep an eye on the front page for fresh content.

Loving all the feedback. Keep it coming!

--
Mike Wilhelm

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

Nice. A little crisper, for me anyway. Are the top categoroes automatically selected? I too would like to see the training videos a little more prominent.

Anyway, very fresh :)

redjeep's picture
Plus Member

Looks really good. Very fresh, easy to get your eyes to navigate and locate what you are looking for. Good job.

Mike Wilhelm's picture

@ Cville Flipboard is an app you can download to your Android or iOS device that makes the web read more like a magazine. To use it with Videomaker, simply add our twitter feed to Flipboard (http://twitter.com/videomaker) and it will take all the links and display their content in a more readable way. Quick disclaimer: it reads a lot better on a tablet than a phone.

--
Mike Wilhelm