You are here

Videoing Water Polo

redjeep's picture
Plus Member

Anyone have any tips for videoing water polo matches? I'm using a Sony HDR-XR200.

Where to video from? Height? Hopefully not in the crowd.

Tripod, monopod, handheld?

Any other suggestion are welcome.

Thanks

Redjeep

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Here's a highlights we show on our website, Gene. We shoot one, sometimes two, cameras, both alongside the pool edges, having gotten permission from the coaches and or head parent in charge. I use a monopod, associate shoots off shoulder. I follow the ball, she follows the team and we both try to anticipate goal shots. I use a plastic cover, with the opening around the lens taped, to protect from the very likely splashes. So, poolside, occasional shots of the scoreboard for reference/record, score shots and saves, depending on the team you're covering. Our focus was on the home team that hired us for the season to do a highlights and montage featured at their awards banquet, but we occasionally picked up some action from the other side and they often ordered videos as well. We avoid coaches reaming out players but get poolside huddles and the congrats line at the end of the games.

redjeep's picture
Plus Member

Thanks Earl for the quick response, tips and link to your highlights.
I got to thinking about the humidity/moisture aspect of it after I posted this. Good tip.

Will have to work on getting a second camera going. Doubles the possible clips.

Being poolside, do you have problems with ending up in front of any angry spectators?

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

The pools where I've videotaped all have plenty of clearance between poolside and bleachers. Of course, from time to time I've had a frustrated parent or spectator vocalize but most of the time after I inform them I'm officially shooting for their team, they back off. Also, I don't hang at any one spot. I'm all over the place, jockeying for position to get the score or whatever, so I'm not often blocking a specific spectator for any given period of time.

When I do get someone who pushes the issue I try to remain as polite as possible, point out the several people who have authorized me to be there and note, again, that I'm officially shooting for the school. Rarely are the bleachers filled to overflowing, with the possible exception of a championship game, so I also politely suggest they sit higher up or change their location. None of the locations are prime, IMHO, and as I said I tend to rove a good bit, so there's no one spot that is completely blocked off. A polite but firm reply usually makes things OK. On the other hand, don't win a battle just to lose the war, so if the parent has been tipping the bottle and is a bit overly excited, just say sorry and move on to an even better position. ;-)

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Gene, forgot to note that if you follow the ball and make it a point to rove, anticipate and have the advantage of a nice, sturdy monopod with a decent fluid head, you can do very well with a single camera. There's a lot of slack time, slow time, time outs, etc. so you really don't miss or gain a whole lot with/without a second camera. These matches are usually easy to cover with one unit. I've never had a coach, player or parents who demanded the entire game in real time. Videotaping ONLY the plays will save you on card/videotape real estate and in editing, and that's all the coaches really care about, even tighter editing for the players and the season highlights video.

redjeep's picture
Plus Member

Wow, Earl, thanks again for the wealth of info. I feel a lot better prepared now to begin this. Some of the parents have asked me to do the matches for recruiting videos of their kids. I have been doing them for soccer and football with Avid Studio and feel pretty comfortable with it. Hopefully Corel will keep it a viable editing program for many years.

I may try to video from the side of the pool that doesn't have bleachers if they will let me and possibly avoid those confrontations.

Thanks again. Will let you know how it goes. Have some time to prepare.