You are here

Video Quality

RockstarRider's picture

So right now I have a Panasonic VDR-210 which is a miniDVD camcorder. I have vegas Pro 8 but i always have trouble importing the files, everytime i get an Error...Error this Error that!!!...I wanna get a new camcorder for Xmas but well my budgt is low...too low this year...I have some camcorders that i would like and can you guys please help me out...Help me choose between Samsung MX20, Canon ZR930, JVC GR-D850...I would like to edit and burn some of the videos to DVD.. I would like to know if the quality from the Samsung MX20 going to be worse,better or equal to that of a miniDV when burned to DVD????....Also if i get a miniDV cam, like what requirements are well like required to capture miniDV footage to computer smoothly...???

Rob Grauert's picture

Also if i get a miniDV cam, like what requirements are well like required to capture miniDV footage to computer smoothly...???

The camera needs to have a firewire port. When you capture, make sure you software is set for the right codec. You should be capturing in the "DV/DVCPro NTSC" codec. You should also be capture to an external hard drive or a second internal hard drive. Do not capture video to your primary hard drive.

I would like to know if the quality from the Samsung MX20 going to be worse,better or equal to that of a miniDV when burned to DVD???

That camera seems to be pretty crappy. It records H.264, which you can't really edit, depending on the software you use. It also only has 1/6" image sensors. That's tiny. I wouldn't go below 1/3"

I wouldn't bother with the cameras that record to a hard drive either. It's nice to have the footage on tape.

RockstarRider's picture

yeah i wanna make DVDs of us riding and racing on our quads and yeah....I feel like the MX20 is like toyish like for little kids, but like you know they say that flash memory is the future..but whatever its not like minidv is gonna die like next year...it mill probably last more than 3 years more...hopefully...imma stick with a minidv camcorder...after a work since of my age i cant work in many places i will definatly try to save money to buy a prosumer camcorder around 1,500 bucks...ok thanks..

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

There IS NO "prosumer" camcorder for around 1,500 bucks new.

There IS a really, really nice entry level high definition camera, the Canon HV30, that records true HD to MiniDV for under $900. Great starting point for amateurs, hobbyists, semi-pros, and is even getting a lot of use from so-called professionals as backup or third camera, even playback unit for ingesting into their respective editing systems.

RockstarRider's picture

yup, ive seen the GL2 inside out...its a very cool camera..the only thing that i dont like is that its white..ha..thats the only thing..but you know..i think they should make a black one..

RockstarRider's picture

yeah the canon hv30 is very good..its felt very professional when i holded it...its like a mini professional camcorder...very very good camcorder...i dont want minidv tapes to end...seriously...or they should just lower the price on flash based camcorders...ha

Rob Grauert's picture

In my opinion, if you're going to be shooting you and your friends on quads, it may be easier to hold the GL2 since it has the handle on top, that is, if you are going to shoot while you ride...

I also wouldn't fall into the hype of HD. You seem to have made it clear that this is for hobby purposes, so you don't NEED HD.

RockstarRider's picture

well like im sure my family is going to get an HD LCD TV soon...and well i was like thinking like to show the video on the TV while eveyrone in the family would be enjoying the movie..cause like we have very interesting events when riding...a cow popping out out of nowhere...some cuzin falling while not wearing helmet...quad getting stuck..racing for the first time and getting first place...not trying to brag here but you know...hahaha.....adventures..but yeah...have all these footage of our racing and riding events..in high def..lol

Rob Grauert's picture

If you insist...ha

In your situation it would be OK to get the HV30. It's not like you're getting a Sony F35, you'd be swatting flies with a nuke then. If you have a reason for HD, then go for it. I was just saying not to get too hyped about it because some people do and don't even realize that you also need an HD TV, Blu-Ray burner, Blu-Ray player, and maybe a better computer, although I'm sure your computer can handle HD from the HV30.

RockstarRider's picture

yeah i know...but ill wait till i get a job and since i dont pay bills right now ill have like time to save up alot and buy all this equipment..ill even buy two Canon XH A1S since those are very good cameras...thats like my dream camcorder right there...ha..like if i got to hold one and try it out like for 5 min i would like faint, im not kidding, i would feel i would be dreaming or something...ha..yeah im that sucky....

bmills's picture

Yes, the HV30 isn't true HD, though at least as I understand, no camcorder that records to HDV are true HD because the media is compressed automatically when you use tape...

Either way, I have the HV30 and it is a great little camera.. I use it for pickups, behind the scenes footage, webisodes, and as a capture device.. works great...