You are here

video camera to buy?

mikefx's picture

Hi, I am looking to buy my first HD video camera and I wanted to know what is a good one to start with? I found the Sony HVR-A1U but I'm still not sure. I wwant to try and keep the price around 2,000 to 2,500. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Cville's picture

Mike

Welcome to the forums. This is a question that lots of people ask. I think that if you can expand on what you want to do with video, as well as the computer you have available to to do your editing on we will be able to give you more advice. Do you already have editing software, or do you need to include that in your budget?

In the price range you mentioned above you are at the upper end of consumer level pricing as well as into the pro-sumer level cameras.

If you want to learn the art of shooting and editing you can easily start with less money for a camera. On the other hand if you know where you want to end up and can afford it then by all means I say start with the best camera you can afford that you will not be wanting upgrade in six months.

Tony

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

mikefx's picture

Tony,

Thanks for your input. At this point i do not have an editing program, I am still looking into that as well. I am looking to make some simple short films but of course I have way bigger ideas in mind like im sure most of us do..lol can you give me some ideas on some cheaper cameras? Once again thanks for your time.