You are here

Vegas 11 problems

chuckzootz's picture

I have been using Vegas pro since version 9, and find the software to be very good. However, when I moved up to Vegas 11 I have experienced a constant flow of minor problems. Getting excessive "Vegas has stopped working" messages where the software would close and not save the changes I made in the project, or the current issue of rendering a file, then adding titles and music and re rendering the file only to get an occasional frame where the color of the sky is yellow or purple.

I have never encountered these kind of problems with Vegas Pro in previous iterations and have contacted Sony support a few time regarding these problems, but haven't gotten any real solutions for these problems. I have gone back to Vegas 10 for critical work and keep checking the Sony website for the next update for Vegas hoping that they have addressed the problems that keep going back to them through the error reporting tool built int Vegas 11

Daryl jemison Jemison's picture

They did just come out with another update. Most of the time in 11 I do a lot of saves as I am working because you never know when its going to stop working

doublehamm's picture

Every new release seems to be unstable, and finally gets sufficiently stable about the time the new version is released. I am a save-a-holic anyway, and always save my projects with increasing numbered titles about every 10 minutes or if I am going to add a VFX. If it weren't for the render speeds and Magic Bullet support in 11, I would still be sticking to 10.

chuckzootz's picture

I just downloaded the new update, Its been a while since the last one. I be testing it asap.

chuckzootz's picture

I just rendered the footage I shoot to test a new camera and the updated Vegas build 693 worked quite well. I will continue to test the software and update this post as things develop.

Daryl jemison Jemison's picture

The 693 build has been working better for me so far. the only time I have had trouble so far is when i use the New Blue Titler

chuckzootz's picture

I've been using Vegas pro build 693 for a week or two now and have come across a new problem. I was working on a video and rendered several copies to rest an audio problem that need fixing. What I found was as I rendered several extra copies of the short video Vegas introduced a green frame into the time line. I noticed it early in the process and scanned through the time line to try to find the green frames, couldn't find it. It appears to happen during rendering. i am going to explore and fix the video today.

doublehamm's picture

Larry, I had a similar problem when Vegas was first released and I added fill light effect or a couple others. I don't necessarily believe it was Vegas causing this, I think it was the video card as when I went to CPU only it didn't happen. I have not had the problem since my GPU drivers have been updated a few times as well as a couple vegas updates. Maybe the newer build is not playing nice with the drivers.. try CPU only?

doublehamm's picture

My only real beef right now with Pro 11 is when I add the color correction VFX, then hit the custom tab (to go to the old style controls which I prefer), it will crash 50% of the time. Luckily I am used to this and always save before I add this effect. This has been an issue since release. Other than that crashes are very few and far between.

chilla1142's picture

Just a quick suggestion for those here that are having random crashes with Vegas Pro 11 (64bit) on Win7. I had similar issues constantly until I was advised of the following steps. These may help, so good luck anyone.

1. Right click on your program launch icon

2. Click on properties

3. Select the 'Compatibility' tab

4. Set Compatibility mode to run as Windows 7 (yup, I know!)

5. OK

chuckzootz's picture

I got tired of the color problems in Vegas 11 and just downloaded a new copy of build 693 and will install it today
I just finished the main cutting of a six camera shoot of a play i shot a few years ago since the musician who has the rights to some of the music wants to see it before he releases permission to publish the video. and I did with Vegas 10e, it took longer to render, but at least it held no surprises like an occasional blue frame. I have contacted Sony and gave them a detailed account of my experiences and hope the next build will finally work correctly

chuckzootz's picture

Well, I just tried something I hadn't thought of before. I had installed build 683 over the previous version (511) and it had some real problems. So, I downloaded build 683 fresh and tried to install it. I was informed to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one. I finally installed version 683 and tested it by putting the major project on the time line and rendered it. Wow no color errors! there must have been so scrap of code left over for the 500 series Vegas that was causing problems. I also updated my query to Sony so that they had a record of what I had found.

chuckzootz's picture

Well, I spoke to soon. I rendered a short video and did see a frame not necessarily blue but the colors in the background of the frame were reversed and more blue was evident. This was a video I had completed in Vegas 10e so there were on cuts, no other effects added just a re render of a project that I was happy with. the odd frame did not appear in the original footage after the re render but id show up in the re rendered output of Vegas 11, therefore I have concluded that the problem is in the rendering engine. Perhaps I need to uninstall Vegas 11, delete the file for Vegas 11, and then wipe clean the empty space before I completely re-install 683 and the plugins i have been using.

chuckzootz's picture

I tried a tip i got from the forums and went into the controls in Sony Vegas 11 and turned off the use of the vid card processors and just use the CPU for rendering, No more problems with color bombs, also rendering times went up. If I remember correctly the problem started when I let Nvidia update the the drivers for my card. I may go and remove the drivers and replace them with the original drivers and test thing again. I will post an update when the testis done

chuckzootz's picture

I replaced the drivers for the Nvidia card with the original drivers and tried to render a file in Vegas 11, and as it rendered, I saw a frame flash blue just as I had experienced before. so my conclusion is the drivers were not the issue. so I went back into Vegas and turned off the card processors and re-rendered the project, I did not add much time to the render.