You are here

Vacation Video

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hi Kids -

Not looking for criticism (I know how bad this is) but wanted to do something a little cool and quickly for my group on our cruise (got back last Saturday). It took some planning and fighting an uphill battle of uncooperative cruise mates but it was fun when done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3h7BG0hQI8

doublehamm's picture

I just lost all respect I thought I had for you Bruce! Just kidding, It was fun to watch!

MediaFish's picture

LMAO! Having been on many cruises, your video brought me right back to some of the fun times I remember most.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

pseudosafari's picture

i love the font works at the beginning. i haven't been on any cruises (my wife gets seasick, although I tease her that it's just a made-up excuse) but this makes me think we should give it a try.

Cville's picture

You must have had a big budget to to get that opening shot over the cruise ship. :)

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

Charles Schultz's picture

Cool video and I can only bet it was tough conning people to do it. Must have been fun doing it though.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Bruce is a bully. He MAKES people do what he wants them to. Just kidding, who could say no to a guy who so smart and conniving? ;-) You obviously have fun with things video, Bruce.

I have ALWAYS though it'd be a kick, hoot, to do this with the bride, bridesmaids and groom & groomsmen to Cher's version of "It's in His Kiss" right?

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

That's what I've thought, Charles, along the lines of what Bruce did, only more rehearsed and in-your-face like a lip sync music video MTV style. I tried a few times to get the bridal party, and parents for that matter, to participate but it takes a particularly open-minded, rowdy, kickin' livin' life group of people to put their ALL into the effort, and that is hard to find. People are often exhibitionistic in nature, but shy as well, creating the oxymoron that has held this project at bay for me over the years. Perhaps, some day, before I die. I have another one I'd LOVE to do using a funeral scenario to the tune of "How High is Heaven" ;-)

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hi Kids -

I actually got the idea from the Wolf family, who has done many of these. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMX0PjmhfJw)

My cruise mates (there were 19 of us all total) all wanted me to do this and I had a killer script written but when it came time to do it just about everyone gave me a hard time about where, when & what so I had to improvise and just get what I could. Now that it's all said and done, everyone is bemoaning how uncooperative they were and while they love it, they now realize how much better it could have been. Oh well... maybe if I ever do a family cruise again they'll be a little more cooperative.

As for some of the comments, I was able to persuade Royal Caribbean to let me use their video as a video partner - I have access to a lot of good footage, so the opening aerial was courtesy of their helicopter shots.

The font was one of Digital Juice's fonts (Splish Splash) and took me about 10 minutes to create the graphic.

I get seasick as well but Bonine does the trick (I used to use transdermal scopalamine which works great but cannot use any more due to other meds I take) - Ginger root also does wonders. This was cruise #19 for me and I have only had problems on one of them - The key is to keep from getting sick in the first place.

One of the gods of wedding video - Glen Elliot - has done stuff like this in the past - See if you can find his Reservoir Dogs video of the bridal party - It's a hoot! But I have not seen a lip-sync wedding piece - If you do one Earl, I'd love to see it!

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

Jennifer O'Rourke's picture
Plus Member

hey, Birdcat! I was doing some research for a story on our site and came across this video you made - way cool, what fun! It made me want to get the kids in the pool and make a music video again - I haven't done one in a while. Thanks for the inspiration.

Managing Editor jorourke@videomaker.com VM Customer Support: 1-800-284-3226

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hi Jen -

Glad you liked it. I will be doing some music videos for several of my son's friend's bands (gonna be a stretch for one - genre is Viking Death Metal) and I enjoy the music vid process. I will probably do more of the family music vid stuff going forward, as now they have seen what I can do quickly they will be a bit more cooperative (hopefully).

If you ever wanna do a piece about video on a tight budget, lemme know - I've been pinching pennies for many years and have included lots of free or cheap resources in cruise ship presentations I have done (I used to teach photo & video in exchange for free/cheap fares).

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

Birdcat, traveled a couple of states to attend and shoot a 'destination wedding' in Fremont Nebraska. I tried to get some of the other attendees to cooperate and walk out of a field of corn ( Field of Dreams, ha ha) but no one would do it. I thought of you and your experiences with your cruisemates. I made a very short clip of cornfield and blue-screened still of people appearing with a voice-over ('If you have it they will come'-recorded myself). It turned out okay but not great, I need more practice! I usually do pretty straight forward stuff but participation inthis forum has made me get 'out of the box' a little more. Thanks for sharing your experiences.