You are here

Uploading to You Tube, Daily Motion etc

abritbetter's picture

Uploading to You Tube, Daily Motion etc, I have uploaded a few video's but because they were around 20 minutes or so and a file size of over 5.5gig, I had to reduce the quality by over 60% which obviously makes the video look crap, any Ideas of any other videohosting companies that give you higher space for free?

dagunner's picture

Once you gain a steady audience and traffic is up they make you a You tube partner. I can load huge files now. An idea for you would be to load the video in 2 parts to retain your quality. I did that a while back. That also doubles your view count and helps in that respect.

voodeux's picture

Vimeo gives you 5GB limits, which is pretty decent. If you encode in H.264 with a bitrate around 5Mbps, you'll get quality and a reasonably sized file. Have you checked the recommended specifications for your upload sites? It sounds to me like you're sending too large of a file (not enough compression).

One other way to save on bandwidth is to tweak your audio. Applying a high pass filter to cut out the low bass and highest frequencies means less work for the audio encoder, and you can allocate more bits to the video. Of course, I wouldn't do this with critical music pieces, but for voices, you can get away with more aggressive EQ settings.

Variable bit-rate encodings will also help preserve the video quality, at the expense of a longer render. I would suggest encoding short clips with a variety of settings then see how they look after uploading.

No1uNo's picture

I think the two posters above gave great answers.  I am a youtube partner as well so I can upload videos of any length.  I think the only limit I have is a file size of 20gb.  If I export a 1080p video with a min bitrate of 4, target of 6, and max of 8 it gives me a pretty good balance between video quality and file size.  The latest video I uploaded was just a home movie of a summer trip for friends and family to view.  It was over an hour (1:07) and came out at just under 3gb. 

The idea of breaking the video up into pieces is also a good one.  I used to do that before I became a partner and it allows you to keep your video quality high yet bring your file size to within the limits imposed on you until you become a partner. 

Vimeo will give you higher initial file size minimums but then it also tends to have lower traffic than youtube.  One really good thing about Vimeo as well is that many office servers block out youtube but allow Vimeo.  If self promotion is your goal, I would suggest uploading to both (or as many video sites as you can find) and let the views pile up.