You are here

Two cameras one subject

James Glazier's picture

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"><span style="font-size: large;" size="4">I have been working on my interview process which I would like to streamline. :) Currently I use two Sony HDR CX550's for an interview. I then take both clips, import them, synchronize them, and edit them using Corel Video Studio Pro X4. After a couple hours I have an interview on a DVD. </span>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"><span style="font-size: large;" size="4">Is there a simple way using my laptop to hook both cameras into a device and then with a click of a mouse switch between each cameras while recording? I would have the laptop in my lap and simply choose which camera I want to use. That would save me quite a bit of editing time. Essentially when the interview was over I would have a near complete interview on my laptop and have very little editing to do. :)</span>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"><span style="font-size: large;" size="4">
Thanks in advance! :)
</span>

Harry Brooks's picture

But, If have a retake you would still end up editing the whole piece..no?

Give the Bride What She Wants!

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Yes - You would need to edit the piece - But if you had a retake, you'd have to edit as well - This just makes that process easier.

If you look at the vid on their site, it reminds me of a TV control room interface. If I did more interviews or multicam shoots it would be in my toolbox.

And no, I am not affiliated in any way with VASST other than being a customer.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

theonecanoe's picture

Unless you are doing "Live TV",then shooting with two cameras and putting it all together in post production may take more time, but it'll give you a better product in the long run as far as tweaking audio, video, cut points, re-asks etc. You'll basically have more control, because you will be editing it the way you want...instead of relying on it beingswitched live. -Wayne-

billmecca's picture

I agree with Wayne. two cameras, two tapes = a little more in post production, but gives you a lot more options now and in the future. One example, a year from now you want to use one of the soundbites in another production, but the only angle you have of it was creative at the time, but is not a flattering angle of the speaker. I like options, lots of em. ;-) YMMV

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

You could use a Tricaster, that would give you the camera control your looking for. Then send a feed from your Tricaster to you computer, capture it with your NLE program's capture program. When done, move video to the timeline, add titles credits and anything else, make a DVD, done.

http://newtek.com/products/tricaster-300-home.html

Palladini

Ontario Canada

chuckzootz's picture

I have done several multi camera videos and agree, shooting with 2 or more cameras will give you two complete streams of video to work with and you can make better choices of where to cut if you go through the footage at a slower pace, the tweak the final video and clean up some issues before you render your project. I usually render the video and bring the rendered project back in to the timeline to create titles and work on the sound. I enjoy having backup copies of the project on hand in case i need to change something

D0n
D0n's picture

I find a three camera set up works best...
you place one camera in front of each light stand (assuming you are using the basic 45/45 three point lighting arraingement... and zoom them in a bit to get your close ups, then set your main camera up directly in front and you can run three cameras, synch them in post and do your multicam edit easily...

have your talent make eyecontact with the audience when needed by looking into the center camera, as for the cams at 45 on each side, you get a nice over the shoulder shot from each angle so include the the shoulder and profile of the person whose back is to the camera becuase this technique does break the 180...

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

You could use a Tricaster, that would give you the camera control your looking for. Then send a feed from your Tricaster to you computer, capture it with your NLE program's capture program. When done, move video to the timeline, add titles credits and anything else, make a DVD, done.

http://newtek.com/products/tricaster-300-home.html

Palladini

Ontario Canada

Bruce McIntosh's picture

I agree with the posters who say avoid editing on the fly. It is quicker but you lose a great deal of flexibility to tweak the final product. I go one step further and record audio with a Zoom H4n either connected to mics I supply or to the sound system of the venue (I do live performance recording). One camera has a wide view and runs continuously while the other I use to capture details. At home I synchronize using PP CS5 with PluralEyes software.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Another negative in using a switcher and editing on the fly is that you're always behind the cut. For example, in a two person shoot you won't cut from A to B until B starts to speak, and you have no way of anticipating when that will happen. So even though you have both talent on camera you're always playing catchup, rarely able to anticipate the beginning of each speech.

This gets especially problematic if you're shooting theatre (dramatic) material unless you're actually following the script and have attended rehearsals. You really need to have a director who is calling the shots when doing a live shoot with multiple cameras.

One solution to this problem is to have three cameras, one of which is providing a fairly wide cover shot while the other two cameras handle closeups. Let the director call the shots live, with his/her voice being recorded on the cover shot camera. This way during edit you'll always know which shot the director intended at any moment in the play. All three cameras have to shoot through the entire show as though they're the primary camera.

As you can imagine, this gets very complicated in terms of equipment and personal and is rarely cost effective for anything other than a large-scale shoot for which you're getting beaucoup bucks.

Jack

http://www.videoccasions-nw.com