You are here

Two Camera shooting questions from newbie

videodx's picture

I want to shoot an educational video with two cameras, one main camera on the subject, and another bullet/lipstick camera for closeup shots. While considering this type of shoot, I'm thinking of a lot of problems that need to be solved. For example, does some device exist that will allow me to start (and stop) recording both cameras at the same time? I've read a little on multicam shoots where people talk about using video mixers and all kinds of complex equipment, but I really don't want anything too complicated.. Or maybe both cameras recording to some media and the ability to switch from one camera to another. For example, when the subject says "show the closeup," I can press a button and the bullet cam's picture gets recorded instead of the main camera.. Does any of what I'm saying make sense? Please ask if you need me to clarify?

BruceMol's picture

When I do a 2 or 3 camera shoot I turn on all the cameras and leave them going until the end. In post, after the sound is sync'd, I choose what to show at any particular moment. I never point the camera at slide presentations unless it is not available. I set one camera as wide at the back, usually unmanned, and zoom in or follow the speaker with another. If I use a third camera its for a side view, slightly back of the speaker to show some audience (as long as the audience is dark).

videodx's picture

Leaving the cameras running isn't really an option for me because we will need to keep starting and stopping due to the nature of the video.. I thought maybe there was some simple device that both cameras could record to at once, but perhaps not?

BruceMol's picture

The gap between 'wish' and 'working' can be filled with money. I know it sounds easy but remote controls for cameras are numerous. I have stopped and started 2 cameras of the same model with a remote, the cameras had to be pointing toward the IR remote. There are certainly remote controls for cameras, I see them during football games zipping across a high wire over the field - heck, the Mars Rover even has one. For for the amateur it's not an easy thing. So check your camera's remote on/off features; maybe the manufacturer solved that one already. I've gotten used to be the remote control turning cams on and off between speakers at conferences. Good luck!

Charles Schultz's picture

You can use an inexpensive clap board for syncing the cameras and you should only have a few seconds of wasted footage to deal with.

videodx's picture

As far as these remotes go, does one exist that will connect to two cameras to start and stop them simultaneously? This bullet cam has a remote recording device, maybe it could work:http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr-hd-bullet-camera.html

<span id="BOSSKNB12_V2_SPECIAL_NODE"></span>

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

Shooting with two camcorders, record the audio separately, mix it on the timeline in post. Your camcorders will have audio on the file, use it sync your videos. When recorded by a device that is not a camcorder, placed on the timeline and the video built around it, it is an easy edit to do. You could sync with Clap of your hands, but if the camcorders are going on and off, that is not practical at all.

Or go with a tricaster http://newtek.com/products/tricaster-455.html

Palladini

Ontario Canada

dellwovideo's picture

It sounds like you're not shooting a 'live' event and that breaks in the action are planned. Just use a clapboard or your hands clapping to get a nice peak in your waveform and synch everything up. It's going to be pretty edit intensive if you can't leave them running because you'll have to synch each and every shot you edit, but those are the breaks with this type of production.