You are here

Travel Pay Question

Charles Schultz's picture

I have been asked to provide a quote to shoot a commercial in Louisiana which is 850 miles away and I will drive there so I can take all my gear. My question is, how much should I charge for travel and the time to do so? I don't want to over charge and not get the gig but I do not want to cut myself short either.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Charles,

Your best bet is to charge the standard US Government mileage rates for travel via ground or air transportation. Some outfits give a discount of the first 50-100 miles to regular customers as an incentive. Check out the current mileage rates at:

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/100715

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

MediaFish's picture

I normally charge mileage and what's considered to be reasonable and customary expenses (hotel etc). I never charge for actual travel time (driving to and from) within the US (at least not yet). I charge a base fee when traveling outside the US (i.e. it took 32 hours to get to Australia which the customer agreed to pay 16 hours of my day rate during travel time and they covered the plane tickets).

I am based in Florida and travel throughout the east coast (NY to Miami) and just recently was out in OK to shoot some high school football.

Jeff Media Fish Productions