You are here

total newbi needs tips pls!

leesmith's picture

i recently purchased two sony hvr hd 1000p's as i dont have much doh at this stage but want to learn,do a few cheap weddings etc

Anyway got a job comming up doing amature dance concert and want to do the best i can with what i have.

I have a mate with no experience who will operate 2nd cam and i operate cam 1.

I planned to have my mate man a still distant shot of the whole stage while i try some close ups from front side of stage.I would apreciate any tips?especialy on cam settings etc as last dance i did with all auto settings and would like to improve,manual focus?white ballancing?exposure? etc.I relise this type of gig is tricky because of low light,but how can i do a half decent job with this gear?Apreciate any help.cheers Lee

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

You can start by reading "A Complete Guide to Shooting Wedding Video". Most times (like 95%) you want to have everything in manual mode. White balance every time you change location, record good audio and don't be afraid to get in the way of people in order to capture a great shot. Remember that you only have one chance to get the shot, so be aggressive and subtle at the same time. As for your partner, let him control the camera on a tripod and he should record almost everything that happen.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

leesmith's picture

hi cheers for that, i will read the book.Yeah i figure i put my partner on wide cam on tripod,set focus to manual then assign ring to exposure and let him ride that.Should i set shutter speed to 60?

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

The higher your shutter speed, less light the camera will see. For weddings you can use a shutter speed of 30 and play with the exposure (some motion blur is accepted). A higher shutter speed should be use for fast movements, such as the bride throwing the bouquet, in order to get all the details.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

leesmith's picture

i really apriciate your input,i figure 60 would be ok as there is alot of movement in dance,still not sure what to do with exposure on my wide cam,auto or manual keeping in mind the guy operating this cam is very in experienced?