You are here

Too many output options in PP

skoegler's picture

Most of the time I export to FLV/FL4V in PP-CS4 and that works pretty well. Even so there are so many options in the preset category that I keep trying different ones. I upload to TubeMogul.com that does some transcoding and crossposting to a variety of server sites, so I don't need to worry much about the specifics.

But - I'm not really happy with the quality of the viewing on some of the sites.

Question 1 - is there a preferred/best Format/Preset for Youtube HD?

Question 2 - I've been asked to provide H.264 with .MOV container. I can't seem to find an option for .MOV output. There are several iPod output presets, but nothing that creates a .MOV file. They all create .mp4 extensions.

Confused....

jerronsmith's picture
Plus Member Moderator

.mov is the extension for a Quicktime file. To produce that the following steps should help.

step 1: Choose File>Export>Media

step 2: In the Export Settings dialog box chose Quicktime from the Format pull-down menu at the top of the dialog box.

step 3: Click on the Video tab at the bottom of the dialog box. In the Codec pull-down menu choose h.264.

That should give you the format/codec that you need.

Jerron Smith Editor-Animator-Educator blog: www.thepixelsmith.blogspot.com

skoegler's picture

Thanks Jerron - but...

My format list includes H.264 but not Quicktime. So I selected the H264 format. Then looked in the Video tab, and The codec is listed as MainConcept H.264, but there is no dropdown list to select from.

Do I need to install a Quicktime codec? and from where?

BruceMol's picture

I can confirm that on a PC, WinXP, CS3, with Quicktime (free version) loaded, the choices are as Jerron describes them. The Quicktime option is second last in my drop down list.