You are here

Tips for shooting a music video

jcl1989's picture

Hey Hey!

I am shooting my third music video & just want to know if anyone would share some tips/wisdom. Its a 3 person easy rock band. The video will only be the band members on an empty sound stage. Any advice or input would be great.

Charles Schultz's picture

Do you have a master track of the song you wish to shoot? If you do have them play to it and do multiple shoots, one of the whole band syncing to the master, then concentrate on each individual member. Make sure you get some b-roll of them setting up and if you can get some footage of an actual show that has people in the audience dancing to the song. While you are at it, get some footage of them playing live. Cut appropriately and have fun.

Stoik Imagic's picture

A music video, like a drama, should be planned, even scripted, before you shoot. Flying by the seat of your pants isn't going to get you where you want to go. Do a little homework. Study music videos and performances featuring music of the same genre and note techniques that impress you. Try to figure out how and why the directors took the shots and made the cuts that they did. You don't have to duplicate what you see, but it won't hurt to borrow some ideas from the pros. Every song and dance that has appeared on film or video has had someone making decisions about what goes where. And, with a little thought, you can usually figure out why that particular image was shot for that bar of music.

darbyohara's picture

Charles gave the best detailed advice in a few paragraphs.  Something I would add is to invest in a decent pair of tripods for green screen and try to have a complete green screen in the band's background when they are filmed to the master track.  Although green screen filming, lighting and post production takes lots of skill and practice to get it right.  Once you get the basics, the sky is the limit with what you can do.  You could place a cheering crowd behind them, like they were playing central park...  lol.  If you are unfamiliar with green screen shooting, I would stay away from it unless you learn the basics.  Otherwise, follow what Charles suggest.

saltlakestudio's picture

Well, it depends on what you want to project on your music video. It's hard to give advice when we don't know the song and its message. So, plan beforehand and have a concept first. Only then, we can give you a piece of our advice for your video production.

David White's picture

Truly thankful for sharing these tips. Looking forward for moving video shooting tips.

HowardRobinson's picture

I have good tips which is useful while making no budget music video. first of all cozy up to a videographer, Storyboard it out, Your song structure may go a long way, Include more things to make it intresting but not tha much which make videp manic.