You are here

Thinking of getting a DSLR

Joshua Strazewski's picture

I'm thinking of getting a DSLR to use for shooting timelapse projects as well as high quality stills. I currently am using the Panasonic HMC 150. I'd like to purchase one that has a similar video look to the HMC 150. Any ideas?

The 7D does seem to be quite the popular model. After lookingat the "Lens help!" thread I am now also looking at the new line of camcorders like the AG-AF100. Although I still want a good quality camera/DSLR for stills.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be looking into that model

Rob Grauert's picture

My personal opinion would be to get a still camera to shoot still photos and a video camera to shoot video. The HDSLRs suffer from aliasing. They just aren't video cameras - they're still cameras that can shoot video. Their image sensors aren't optimized for video. And if you're in a hot environment, I know from experience that the 7D can overheat, which is annoying.

The AF100 looks like a nice video camera, but I've never played with it. Sony's FS100(i think) seems nice too. But I haven't played with that either...

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Joshua,

You don't need a video capable DSLR to take timelapse video. In fact, I've found doing TML videos with a still camera is far superior to ones done with a video camera. Whatever model DSLR you get, a prosumer or better grade camera body and lenses with good glass and larger apertures (3.5 or better) will be of considerable assistance in getting good imagery.

Many of the prosumer/pro models have built-in Intervalometers, but I find having an inexpensive external one comes in handy for other reasons. I agree with Rob and will add that unless you really need the capability to shoot video with a still rig, to pass on it and get a dedicated video camera. Unless you have a background in photography, the learning curve and accessories needed to take advantage of DSLR video is steep and expensive.

Here's a link to one of my posts that deal with shooting TML's with a digital still camera.

time-lapse-video-with-a-still-camera

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Thanks for the link. Very informative. Would a Nikon D3100 or D5100 work fine for producing my timelapse projects then, as long as I have the remote intervalometer?

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Joshua,

Yes, those models should work just fine. Check around for compatible IVM's and check the manufacturer's spec's on those cameras to see if they have built-in IVM capability. As for an IVM, in my personal opinion if you pay more than $75 you paid too much. No matter what camera you get, remember that the lens(ses) you use with it will make or break the imagery you get.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com