You are here

That Didn't Take Long....

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Well in the midst of the hoopla, excitement and 'lemming-like' rush to purchase Apple's new iPhone someone actually found a practical use for the thing (since you can't use the phone unless "You just don't hold it that way.") Filmmaker Michael Koerbel has made the unofficial 'first' movie using the new phone called "Apple of My Eye". It's a cute little film apparently done in 48 hours with nothing more than the phone itself. The most interesting elements about the short film are the great camera angles and the surprisingly good quality of the video. At least if you can't call with the thing, you can shoot a nice looking short....

"Apple of My Eye" - an iPhone 4 film from Michael Koerbel on Vimeo.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Yup. If you watch it again, they added the 'making of' portion at the end of the video. One thing you have to give apple credit for, they know their demographic forward and backward. The guys that made the vid look like they all stepped out of one of those hideous "I'm a mac" commercials. Thing is I distinctly remember putting up a post last year about how apple planned to do this kind of thing for their mobile devices and I gotta' say if I was going to get an iPhone, it would be primarily for this capability. Obviously there are still limitations from what I can see concerning exposure (I hate auto settings) and focal lengths, but just on the short end, for 300 bucks you can get a video camera you can do wi-fi and call with (long as 'you hold it right'.)

Again these guys reiterate a past post of mine where you can use ridiculously simple means to get great moving camera angles. I would have liked to been in the casting session when they told the actors they would be filming with a phone!

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Rob Grauert's picture

"Again these guys reiterate a past post of mine where you can use ridiculously simple means to get great moving camera angles."

The camera angles were just amazing. I mean, I don't think even a DSLR could have gotten some of them.

I wonder how many pervs out there will try to look up girls' skirts, lol

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"I wonder how many pervs out there will try to look up girls' skirts...."

You just had to say it didn't you. Well it's a good thing the new iPhones don't have antennas 'cause it would hurt more when some angry woman ram's it up some pervo's backside!

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Anonymous (not verified)

Yeah, that's pretty wild. I love that she is editing in the front seat of the car.

josericho sausal's picture

Oh My!! That's really an Epic!! What phone did they used? It really inspired me!! Thanks for sharing! :)