You are here

please help me!!! syncing audio from multiple cameras

czvp's picture

hey im a wedding videographer but ive been asked to do something a little out of my league. i shoot with 3 cameras at weddings but the audio isnt important so i put music tracks through the entire video. well some friends ask me to shoot live footage of them singing with multiple cameras but i do not know how to get the best audio quality. i ran across this perfect example of the kind of video they want on youtube. ill post a link in this post. my question is can you tell me what they are using in this video to get the great live audio. i can do the same exact thing for my friend putting a recorded track he has over it and just sync his lip movements to the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=boyceavenue&view=videos&start=20

czvp's picture

well im not videoing a live show in an auditorium or anything. it will be in his living room most likely. can i use audio mixer software for my laptop or do i have to actually buy an audio mixer?

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

From what I have seen, if you are going to do many shots of the band members, you might want to think about doing the following. Most "studio" shoots play the song being recorded in the background and the group plays along or "airbands" it. this allows them to keep the same tempo/sync as the music they will be using in post. (I would not count on things going well enough that you could do it all in one take). They will do many takes with the cameras at different angles on different members of the group. Then in post they would cut the scenes to the same recording they were playing with as the sound track. This allows the lip sync and play sync to line up.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)

czvp's picture

no ive actually been to guitar center since and spoke with some people who do it. they said because the band wants to have the actual live sound i should connect all the mics to a physical audio mixer or an external sound card with an audio mixer program for the computer. shoot the video with two cameras them edit it and sync the mouth movements from the two cameras. that would be the cheapest longest way to go being that im low on cash. the easiest fastest most expensive way would be buy a video switcher which everything hooks up to and you can just fade from camera to camera so you dont have to do much editing to the video when its finished. ive decided to buy the external sound card with the audio mixer software and use my computer as my mixer for the audio and im going to try my best to sync the mouth movements lol but it will sound live. after a couple jobs i plan on getting a video mixer. thanks for everyones help! even all the people who wrote me on windows live, myspace, and emailed me

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I have produced MANY lip synced music videos over the years, as well as LIVE productions, using multiple cameras.

When producing for independent artists in a controlled environment - their home, home studio, garage, or a rented storage facility stacked with their amps and equipment, where they can "practice" and play til their hearts content without the neighbors yelping about noise to the local PD. This is where you have a choice between and/or lip syncing to a recorded piece(s) they are happy with, or live - either way with repeated performances.

When my groups have been intimately familiar with and solidly attuned to their CDs, and have recorded "live" at reduced volume, but actually syncing to the CD playing at high volume, and have been willing to spend the time doing one, two or several takes for each selection, success is wonderful. There will always be times when the lips and CD music track are not SPOT ON, but close enough that if I have also captured some other stuff - cutaways, alternate shots that do not focus on the lips, hands on keyboards and guitars, etc. side shots, or distance shots, I have been able to hide the second here or there where I cannot get a match.

Also, I have had occasions where their live performances actually came out sounding better, and working better, than with their efforts to sync to the audio CD.

I will NEVER again trust the buy on the boards, the mixer, the house sound - too many times have had to have my systems and cameras audio circuitry repaired due to blown out circuits because this supposedly experienced audio person hits the wrong levels at the wrong time. So, I use on camera mics, with additional and occasional direct feed mics focused on the amp sweet spots and feeding into a board of my own and into an auxiliary wide-shot camera mostly used for direct feed from MY audio mixer. Also, I use a host of Zoom H2 digital recorders placed where I think they are needed.

I have stacked these audio tracks, used them independently, or only one or the other, depending on what I and the talent deems best quality. It takes a LOT of work, but the redundancy of audio acquisition and ways of acquisition is the secret to having enough choices to make SOMETHING work.

My suggestion is to first and foremost try to get several take of the group performing to their prefered CD or other digital sound source via lip sync. From there, I go with the other possibilities I have outlined.

M-323's picture

well, you could wire one camera (usually the closest) right into the band's sound mixer. this gives you the best audio, using their audio equipment.

if your subject doesn't have it, you can either a) use a boomed mike or b) wireless mic but they seem to pick up interference - especially if you are near lighting, or audio equipment etc. boomed Mic is best if you cant steal their audio.

then you can use the pics from all the cameras and only one audio.

... one time I tried a big ear mic -- one of those parabolic mics for a sporting event. it worked pretty good cause the crowd was behind me, I was able to focus on audio from the game. the little ambient sound from the fans was just enough. I had though that if it blocked out the fans entirely, I was going to fake the ambient sound with a crowd track in post but I didn't have to.

best, Phil

www.WiseGuyProductions.ca

nccgeorges's picture

Hi EarlC,

When you do live recording and you get all those live inputs, individual lines to your board, camera inputs from your cameras and all those H2 recorders.

With all those recorded inputs, when you mix down the video and audio with something like FinalCut how do sync the audio from all those source that they all sync up in post production. I would guess you blend the inputs to what sounds best.

grinner's picture

Just use the audio from one source and cut the other cameras to it. To save time, let em free run. You can then sync each camera one time on different tracks and go through subtractivly, as if switching a live show. This keeps ya from finding sync without matching time code per shot.