You are here

Super effect

shane007's picture

Hi guys! Do you know how to do or if it is possible to do a effect like this: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTrWm4nxM2w&feature=channel_video_title) on 0:47 to 0:51 on sony vegas pro 10?? If you can do it may you make a tutorial??

I think that that video is edited with "Final cut" on "Apple"

Thanks and sorry for my english (I'm italian)

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

There may be a plug in to do this, and it would certainly be easier if the camera was stationary but without actually having done this (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure):

At first glance, in Vegas, I would save the several frames I wanted to freeze, rotoscope to isolate the person, place each "still" on a separate track with one track as a parent for motion control to match up with the camera motion and voila. The hardest part will be the motion control.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

D0n
D0n's picture

I'm thinking the parts where they slowed the motion down, they then marked out several frames, created still images from the frames, then imported the stills into photoshop where they removed the backgrounds and added chroma green. they then imported the still back into the NLE. each still frame as a new video layer, set back to start at thier original frames with durations that allowed them to overlap for the entire slow motion clip.

I don't know If I've explained it clearly, but I think I could replicate it.

BTW it certainly IS possible, if one person can do it, so can another! ;0)

shane007's picture

Thanks for the answer!
This is the theory and I've just started to edit videos and so I'm not very good yet... If you have time can you do a video tutorial??
Bye!

D0n
D0n's picture

not this week. I'm building a new studio, and filming the build process.

grinner's picture

the multi freeze frame effect can be done by exporting the frames you want to freeze then cutting out what you want to keep in photoshop. Save those as png files and import them into vegas with alphas. You can then lay em in as you like with the video. Keep the native res the whole way and you won't even have to reposition the alpha freezes.

D0n
D0n's picture

yeah Grinner I was thinking along those lines, wasn't sure if all nle's will use png with transparent backgrounds, that is why I was guessing using green background layers... thanx for correcting me.

:0)

another question Grinner.. is it possible to use animated pngs as well? like if you used photoshop to make each image an animation? Will that work with nle's such as final cut?

grinner's picture

yes. FCP will import png sequences, as will most other NLES. If they are not png freiendly they are tga, psd, or otherwise friendly. Bottom line is any alpha friendly uncompressed file will work.

That said, if looking at rendering image sequences, you may as well just bust out an uncompressed quicktime. Far more handles when it comes to fields, ect.

rs170a's picture

Great find Shane. I was positive you'd have to use something like Boris or AE that had motion tracking capabilities.

Mike