You are here

Suggestions for Lavalier Wind Muffs

Shaun Laframboise's picture

I searched the forums and didn't find any comprehensive thread about the best wind muff's out there. I saw the one I'd like on BH for $25... for ONE. So maybe that's what I'll have to do.

BUT, I wanted to check in with you guys to see what you use for lavalier wind muffs and what you're thoughts are.

Should I just find a cheap one as they all work the same? Or drop the 1/4 of a Franklin for a small piece of fuzzy material?

I'm looking at this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/385181-REG/Remote_Audio_MCAT_B_Micro_Cat_Lavaliere_Windscreen.html

doublehamm's picture

You could try these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745980-REG/Rycote_065520_Overcovers_Black.html

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

Shaun, if you have a Radio Shack in your neighborhood, you might take a look at these inexpensive windscreens to see if they would fit your needs. RS item #30-4006 and #33-373. 

aburke3's picture

Yeah, the "micro cats" have multiple layers last for a long time, though. I've made a half a dozen DIY furs. And while they're always better than none at all, they don't do the same job as a real fur windscreen.

-Andrew

Shaun Laframboise's picture

Excellent.. I'll check em out.. I have the regular style windscreen, but the furry one's are the ones I need to really remove wind noise... seems the $25 one may need to do... Vid - I couldn't see the RS product: #30-4006 wouldn't show up for me..

artsmith's picture

Shaun,

Just a few weeks ago, I made such a device for a Zoom H1 recorder using what is known, as 'Teddy-Bear Fabric' over here, an artificial fur with something of an open-wave backing. Since an 'H1', is a rather odd shape to fit, I began with a framework, suitably cut-away, made from poplar 'lite-ply' as used on model aircraft. The 'fur' was simply three panels of the material glued to the framework, and given a bit of an 'Afro', with scissors, to tidy it up, a bit. It is not the complete answer, as I work a lot on a windy and exposed coast, but it does help, a bit. Use of a low-cut filter when processing audio material, also helps considerably and the spectral-subtraction as used in Magix's 'Audio Cleaning Lab' helps quite a lot, 'in-post', if not over-done'.

I'm tempted to try a novel solution. I have always wondered how a knitted wind-sock would go, if done in mohair or angora 'wool'. It could easily be made 'stretch-to-fit' and would have the required amount of 'furriness', if a mohair jersey the 'memsahib' knitted for memany years ago, is anything to go by. In the absence of a recognised 'pattern', I guess success would be a matter of 'suck-it-and-see'. Still, they knit bootees for babies, so wind-protection for mics, should not be beyond the capacity offemale ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, New Zealand.