You are here

Suggestion for Avid Studio versus Pinnacle Studio

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

Just curious to know which is the comparison between new Avid Studio and last release Studio 15 which product you trust to be the best investment for an user. Somebody has evaluate this new release and can we continue to trust Avid product? or to switch to another NLE software ?

Regards,

YR

grinner's picture

It all depends on your needs, workflow, and budget. If you are asking if Avid is the same company they use to be, heck no they aint. If you are asking if their price points equal the fire power purchased, again that depends on your needs. Look at Edius, Vegas, Premiere, and FCP before buying.

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

The last time I personally had either was back when version 8 of Pinnacle Studio came out. I was running it on a laptop for field capture then I moved on to AVID Liquid for the same. It is suprising what you can do with them. I've occasionally messed with newer versions while helping people and friends just getting into editing and getting talked into them while getting a camera from Best Buy.

I would have to agree with grinner that it really depends on what your needs are. They seem to have a different set of limitations with each of them so an apples to apples evaluation wouldn't reflect which was best for editing but which is working better for one person and the CODEC they are pushing through it.

As an example: A copy of Vegas Studio 10 came with my NEX-VG10 camera, so I fired it on a laptop just to see what it was worth. It handles AVCHD .M2T files quite well and edit's pretty dang smooth and renders quite fast on a 32 bit system laptop. I was quite impressed with it given my experience with the less expensive softwares. I was expecting it to choke quite a bit more than it did. But that doesn't mean its any better with MPEG2 than others may be.

I think timing was bad for a lot of these consumer level softwares. They were just starting to get the bug's out before HD hit them andstarted a whole new world of bug's.The biggest problem from my experience with any of themhas been people attempting to install them on systems that do not meet the requirements or even come close. Several times I've gone to help someone figure out whytheir software isn't working and they don't even have a firewire port.

So, dependability of the software is really just one small piece of the puzzle.

Moab Man's picture
Plus Member

I fall into the pro-sumer area. I have been using Pinnacle 14 Ultimate since it came out. Familiar with Magix (and hate the fact the latest Magix 17 doesn't work when using their animated DVD menu's) and of course many moons ago cut my teeth on Windows movie maker. That's a little bit of where I am coming from.

My computer is a Quad Core 3.4 ghz I7 w/interlacing chip along with some monster video card I can't remember off the top of my head.

Background out of the way... I love Avid Studio. It IS what the product (Pinnacle 14) should have been all along. Processing/rendering is much faster. Stability has been greatly improved. Been using it since the day it released and have had only one faulting of the program when some other program activated for something I had scheduled. The "unlimited" tracks work really well - the program does not lag (video/audio mis-matching) when there is a lot of complexity between the multiple tracks that 14 would do sometimes with its few track layers (same machine with both programs).

Takes a bit of learning to figure out where everything is since the program is not like 14 in many ways.

I know this didn't directly answer your question, but I hope this helped. Prior to Avid Studio I was about ready to walk away from Avid/Pinnacle. Hate the fact I wasted money on 14 but thrilled with Avid Studio.

Here is a link to the direct head-to-head comparison.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-studio/upgrades

Moab Man

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

ThanksMoab Man and others responding to this forum I was in the same boat as you an old user of Pinnacle product changing to Magix Edit Pro 17 plus and probably come back to Avid Studio. I can handle very well both software but it is difficult to change for a new product without regretting the old way.

Regards,

YR

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

Avid Studio 1 is much better and stable than Studio 14. It is very powefull and I use it for each movie in my web site this is a French grammar containing over 80 movies using many video tracks and titles. The green screen effet is more powerfull than low price software (more control) I recommand over Studio 14 for prosummer. Learning using the DVD supplied with the software and the DVD created from Class On Demand. Paul explains basic function very well is not complete but this helps more than searching and trying.

You can check it www.profmarcel.com each button is a movie between 6 to 15 minutes.

Regards,

YR